Chronic diarrhea - Pooping on floors

judgespackler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (14 years old) has had chronic diarrhea her entire life. The multiple vets we've taken her to surmise its a mixture of her having a narrowed anus as there is nothing else alarming in her tests (GI, blood screens, urine samples, stool samples, etc.) However her kidney values are trending upward, so a kidney friendly diet was recommended. That's it. Recommended diet alterations have not helped one bit over the years. Always liquid poops that come squirting out.

As of the past 2 years it has steadily become more problematic in two areas. Pain, and pooping on the floor.

1.) PAIN - She now howls in pain a noticeable amount when going both #1 & #2. Sometimes really loud screams. Her body will get into weird contortions and she will clearly be in pain afterwards and angrily cleaning herself. There has been random sightings of blood as well. Sometimes its really hard to watch and you feel awful for her. 5-10 min later, she's fine.

2.) POOPING ON THE FLOOR - She is losing the ability to get to her litter boxes and will liquid poop on our floors. It has gotten so bad, we can't trust her to roam the house freely when we're out of the house. Fortunately we're without child and have an entire room dedicated to her. However, she still has multiple accidents per week when left alone in her bedroom. Her cat boxes (2) are literally feet away. We've had to remove any large cat towers or lofts as she can't get down in time and will just poop on them. She also will just poop in her sleeping spots on the floor too. She's just given up on getting to her boxes even when they're right in front of her.

The kicker is that everything else is fine. She eats, and wants to eat all the time. She drinks plenty of water, and really loves to splash around in it. She plays with toys, chases yarn. She will beg for attention and sit in your arms purring away. But when its time to go to the bathroom, we have to coach her or literally carry her to her box to make sure she gets there - and she's normally quite vocal in her displeasure with it all.

She has 2 boxes in her room, we clean them daily, sometimes multiple times per day. We literally have tarp down on her entire room so that its easier to clean up the inevitable cat diarrhea and not have it seep into our floors. It'd be one thing if they were ever solid poops... It also really sucks asking someone to come watch her if we go away for a weekend. I can't imagine how she could ever stay somewhere else.

Conclusion: I'm obviously tired of cleaning up cat diarrhea almost daily, and having to keep a watchful eye on her when we let her roam the house. She's also in a lot of pain when she goes and when she cleans herself after. We've seen blood. The vets do not have any solutions for either the diarrhea or litter box behavior. It also seems negative to my health to be exposed to this constantly. Everything else with the cat seems fine - her tests were fine, no thyroid, no cancer, they won't call it IBD as the GI isn't inflamed. She eats, she drinks, she plays, she cuddles & purrs. So its torture thinking of putting her down.

What would you do? Keep letting your cat liquid poop on your floors, cleaning it daily, while trying to provide her with a good life? Or make arrangements to put her down for her pain/health as well as your own health?

TLDR: My cat wont make it to her box anymore and poops on the floor, with chronic diarrhea (liquid.) I'm at a loss on if keeping her alive is the best decision for my health and hers.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat (14 years old) has had chronic diarrhea her entire life.
I've attached an article for you to read. My boy had chronic diarrhea a few months back and I treated him with the probiotics mentioned in the article. It helped my boy and his diarrhea was solved after 3 months and now he has normal poop and I'm also giving him a lower dose of the probiotics everyday for maintenance.

Give the article a read if you want to help your cat.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judgespackler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the reply and article. I'm checking it out. I'll pick up some of this S boulardii and give it a shot.

From the article, I would say my cat falls under "Extremely watery stool with straining." We've done x-rays to rule out blockage or impacted feces however.

She's unfortunately never had solid poops her entire life, so I'm unsure if we'll ever resolve that. My main focus is trying to make pooping less painful for her, which hopefully would result in a reduction of accidents on the floor. The vet has also suggested gabapentin (in small daily doses) to ease her pain.

Thanks again

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand the diarrhea has been ongoing, and I agree that s. boulardii is something to try to help with that. She could also be experiencing pain from a sore bottom because of the diarrhea. If not before, it could be because of a change in the way she positions herself to poop vs. when she was younger, often the cause of arthritis - which is a very real possibility based on her age. Although, she is still pretty active, other activities might not pose as big of an issue depending on where any arthritis might be located.

Is the blood from her pooping or peeing, and is that more recent? And is the howling with peeing new?

There are cats that get UTIs from exposure of bacteria traveling from the anus to the urethra - more often in females - which can lead to an infection. I know you have said she has gone through urine samples - how recently? Was there any degree of bacteria in the urinalysis?