Chronic diarrhea; God help us all

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :(

In the thread mrsgreenjeens provided a link to, above, the cats were treated for clostridium with no antibiotics. BUT the probiotic used can be used in conjunction with antibiotics, as it is not a probiotic that colonizes the gut, it is a yeast-based probiotic, and in humans is used as adjunct therapy to antibiotics!

So I would recommend giving your cat 2.5 billion CFU of S. boulardii (Saccharomyces boulardii) twice a day along with whatever antibiotic the vet has you using. This should help stop the diarrhea within a day or two. Continue with the S. boulardii for a month regardless of how long the course of antibiotics is. And after the course of antibiotics, to re-establish the gut flora, I'd give your kitty an L. acidophilus supplement of some kind, 5 billion or 10 billion CFU am and PM for at least several weeks.

I use Nutricology S. boulardii, and I buy it on amazon. It has 3 billion CFU per capsule - you can use one capsule twice a day. My cats eat it mixed in with the wet food. But if you have to pill it because your cat doesn't like the taste, the pills are small enough that you can do that.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: