Chronic Conjuctivitis And Saline Eye Drops

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl seems to have chronic conjuctivitis where every 3 months or so she gets a watery, red, and squinty eye (it's always in a single eye and it seems to alternate each time she gets a flare up). She was seen by our vet in March and was prescribed tobradex (antibiotic and steroid) eye drops. I have used these drops every time she has a flare up and they work within 1 to 2 applications. But, I'm starting to think that it's probably not a good idea to give these drops regularly as it doesn't seem to be a bacterial issue. The vet highly suspects it's herpes virus because she also gets a stuffy nose every once in a while.

Rather than continuing to treat with tobradex every time she has a flare up, I want to try saline drops. I just want to confirm that it's safe to give these drops to her? And what brand would be best?

I could also take her back to the vet next time it happens but the vet really really stresses her out so I'd like to avoid it if I can (of course I would take her though if it's necessary, but just want to try the saline drops first).

Also any other suggestions for effective home remedies for conjunctivitis flare ups would be much appreciated!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you or your vet thought that it might be an allergy? One of my cats had "environmental allergies", (dust, pollen....) and would get sneezy and irritated eyes every once and a while. It started only when he was old. We just made sure to keep our windows closed when things were pollinating, or when cutting the grass etc...And it did force me to clean the house more than I wanted to! haha!
Not a vet, but I would think saline drops are safe, but just don't know if they would be effective, especially if it's a herpes flare up of some sort. I've never dealt with that before, sorry, not much help on that point.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm seeing several saline products for pets, and there's a recipe, 1/4 teaspoon to 1 cup lukewarm water, to be used 3-4 times a day...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think saline solution (which you'll probably want to make fresh each time to prevent bacterial growth) will help with pain or reduce inflammation. It would be good for gently removing particulates from the surfaces of the eyes.

Don't they make steroid eye drops for cats that come without antibiotics?

In any case, I guess I would just have some more discussions with the vet, find out if there is a way to really pinpoint what you are dealing with. And if it's chronic flare-ups of herpes virus, has she been checked for any corneal ulcers?

Maybe get a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's getting an eye infection, I don't think the saline drops will help. Most likely, since you said it happens about every 3 months, it could be allergies. Have you considered giving her an allergy pill?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your responses. It sounds like the best course of action might be to take her back to the vet for a re-assessment when it happens again. It could very well be allergies I suppose. I noticed last time it happened after she had been sitting by an open window, but she also does that for hours every day. We’ll see what the vet says next time. Thanks!