Chronic congestion? Suggestions?

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little stinker Jasper ( not so little ) has had chronic congestion and has sneezing/coughing fits. Our vet says it’s probably asthma and gave him a shot of prednisone. He really doesn’t do well with shots because he is prone to getting sarcomas.
Are there any homeopathic remedies besides steam? We already have him on urinary herbs and it’s worked wonders for him. Poor little guy, he’s about 8 and I hate that he’s stopped up all the time. :sigh:
He doesn’t have any discharge or anything, literally just coughing sneezing and sounds super congested when breathing. No mouth breathing Thank God.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: When we adopted our last cat she had a URI and was sneezing/coughing. Since the shelter covered medical expenses up to two weeks after the adoption they referred us to a vet who gave her nebulizer treatments which helped tremendously. Sending healing vibes for you cat, Jasper.:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd definitely ask your vet about nebulizer treatments. If it is asthma, they will help. If not...they could still help, depending on what it is!
Thanks to you both! I love this site btw, I’ve been lurking here for years but just recently made an account and definitely love it. I will ask our vet. How often do you do the nébuliser treatments? Just wondering because Jasper tends to cough for really short periods but decently frequently.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can depend. I've known cats who did them once a day, and did well, and other who did as much as four times a day. And there are several medications that can be nebulized, so that would make a difference also, I would think.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love this site btw, I’ve been lurking here for years but just recently made an account and definitely love it. I will ask our vet. How often do you do the nébuliser treatments?
Glad you decided to join the site! :welcomesign: If you'd like you can introduce yourself and Jasper here: New Cats on the Block

Our cat started showing symptoms four days after we adopted her and her health care was covered by the shelter for up to two weeks. According to their contract we had to take her to their vet but he was wonderful. Our cat needed nebulizer treatments once a day for 3 to 3 1/2 weeks but it was a life saver for her. This was approx.16 years ago with our previous kitty so I'm not sure how it is handled now but definitely contact your vet and please keep us posted. Good luck! :crossfingers:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A daily antihistamine can help as well as using Lysine. You can also do plain saline solution drops in the nose to help clear congestion. Did the vet do an x-ray to check for asthma? Sounds more like allergies to me.