Christmas Trees and Cats

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The tree lasted 20 minutes before being knocked down, due to the weight of three black furry decorations putting themselves on the tree at the same time. I thought they would be less interested seeing as last year they were just kittens, but now they are too heavy to climb it but do anyway.
  That's funny, but I bet you weren't laughing at the time!  

I think I'm going to put mine up next Wednesday with just the lights at first, to see how my new girl reacts. It will be up on a table, like in the picture I posted above.

Hopefully, she won't care too much after an initial check it out. Then, I will decorate the next day to have it done for the weekend.

I think what will also help is I just can barely get my grapevine star on it. I have to wedge it  against the ceiling a tiny bit, so that also helps keep it stable.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of a traditional tree, why not do a modern take on the holiday tree? Some of the DIY ones featured in this article are cat-proof, ie on the wall instead of freestanding.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Instead of a traditional tree, why not do a modern take on the holiday tree? Some of the DIY ones featured in this article are cat-proof, ie on the wall instead of freestanding.
There were some cute ideas there. I like the strand of lights. The branches on the wall were a good one too. 

I love my tree though, & it's still "new" for me. I bought it (the white one) just the year before last, so not putting it up last yr, because of everything I was going through w/ Angel, I've only had it up one year.

I can't wait to put it up. I'm just hoping little Miss Sammy behaves! 

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decorated my lil tree. Since Cally is not bothering it this year I today lit lights and garland. Last year she was 10 months old +she pulled ornaments off. I had no lights or garland then. As you see it sits not far from her cat tree.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so last Sunday, I decided to go ahead & put up my tree & decorate. At first, I just put up the tree w/ lights on it, & no ornaments, until I knew how Sammy was going to be with it.

Well, she paid it no mind, & couldn't care less! I was really surprised! She hasn't even tried to check it out. No curiosity at all. She was probably like, "yea, yea, it's a tree, I see those outside all the time mommy!"    
Here it is in the daytime, so you can actually see it better. The lights are so bright at night!

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On my god Kelly, I didn't know you got another cat, she's beautiful. I'm so happy you have a little girl [emoji]10084[/emoji]

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my god Kelly, I didn't know you got another cat, she's beautiful. I'm so happy you have a little girl [emoji]10084[/emoji]
Hi, yes! I certainly didn't plan on it. LOL!  BUT, she showed up & started hanging out around Labor day wknd. She stayed long enough that I eventually gave in & fed her. Of course, funny thing is, I thought she was a he, because she wouldn't let me get a close enough look until we went to the vet for shots, etc...  So "Samuel" became Samantha!  

Here's the thread I started about her, if you want to scan through the story. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/326610/ive-been-adopted-again-kind-of-long-sorry-picts

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your place looks so nice with the tree. Does your landlord not bother you anymore?
Thank you!  So far, so good!   Usually, the only time I see him is when I take rent to him, & so far, nothing more has been said. I am hoping that since nothing else has been said by anyone, it's just all died down, & he won't!  ... I just keep praying.  I don't think my neighbor is going to say anything more. She already "said her peace" so to speak, so as long as nothing else id said, I think it will be fine. I am trying to manifest that by believing it anyway!  (the whole confrontation story w/ her from a few wks ago is on Sammy's thread)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad. Your place is so nice - I like the way you keep it. IIRC, you've made some improvements yourself.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad. Your place is so nice - I like the way you keep it. IIRC, you've made some improvements yourself.
Thanks! Yes, I don't want to hijack this thread, off topic, but  if you look back through my old threads, you'll see I've done quite a bit! 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am totally diggin' the star on that tree, Kelly!  Where did you get it?

Last edited:

neontheblackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, we have real trees every year with our cats and they were all fine. None of them cared about the water or ate the needles (Or if they did, they were completely fine), even the curious ones were great. We only had one bathroom incident under the tree, but our cat was older and we had been out of the house for a while (with a sitter) so he may have been stressed. For any tree, real or fake, just be sure to keep all breakable ornaments out of reach and unless you want your cat's litter box to be sparkly, I would suggest the same for tinsel (my mom found THAT one out the hard way when she was little!) I won't pretend to know your cats, but that is just my experience.

petey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE your xmas tree, Swamplady! 

I have a 7 1/2 foot wrought iron tree that I can decorate MANY ways.  As far as my kitty, Dublin, he's well behaved with "both" xmas trees, however I'm not brave enough to put a tree skirt under either one of them.  I've seen him run at TOP SPEED from the bedroom onto the skirt.  He was having too much fun.  Had to put a stop to that.

Petey

petey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was noticing your window treatment, Swamplady.  THAT appears to be MORE interesting than the xmas tree, itself!  Are they individual "beads" hanging, or is it a curtain with lights attached?  WOW!, if they're beads, that would be my cat's dream

Petey

petey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautifully done, Angels mommy.  Looks cozy and festive

Petey