Christmas tree lights......

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this is Matt last year, right after we put up the Christmas tree......right before he figured out how to take the bulbs out of the strands of the lights, forcing us to de-light the tree lol.

This year, I'd like to have a pretty tree with lights on it-any suggestions? are LED lights harder to take the bulbs out of than the old-style strands? I wonder about the rope-lights? If he pulled the bulbs out of these to bat them around the room, would he be likely to knaw on the rope? I've got some large outdoor lights in the basement, but I'm afraid to use them in the house because they get quite warm....but maybe something with bigger bulbs would deterr him?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Wow, you're brave!  The only time I dared have a little Christmas tree was when my 'fit' pensionar had crossed the RB and my arthritic girl couldn't get up anywhere to pull it to pieces.  Definitely not going there with Mouse for a good few years yet!

When I did get my little 3' tree and smothered it in lights and tinsel I got a twisted rope strand of lttle LED lights. I like them as they are like complete units so no bits to come off, and they don't get hot to the touch.  The main risk looks like it's if you have a chewy cat that goes for cable.  Other than that it's the general pulling over and tree distruction  you're left with.  First cat I lived with did a full on run through the apartment, jumped up on the sofa the tree was next to and 'flew' up on to the top of it.  The whole 6' tree and the decorations were spread across the floor.  You had to laugh.  I have no idea what the owner of the flat thought was going to happen - the kitten was only about 9 months at the time and she was not the shy, retiring type.  She saw it and thought,' wey hey mummy, all for me'! 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

mochasprinkle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness.. I hadn't even thought this to be a thing cats could do! They're crafty, but who knew! Thanks for the heads up and I hope you figure out a solution... good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh my goodness.. I hadn't even thought this to be a thing cats could do! They're crafty, but who knew! Thanks for the heads up and I hope you figure out a solution... good luck!
Apparently  good quality LED lights are not as interesting as the classic tree lights. Matt has not tried to take apart. Also, they don't come apart as easily, so maybe he has and gave up while I wasn't looking? I'm in school all day this year, but the only thing I've found off of the tree this year between the cat and the kitten is the ribbon. I used 2inch wide ribbon instead of garland or tinsel, and they have pulled it off a couple of times...but it's too heavy to really play with, being so thick, so they give up and leave it at the base of the tree