Christmas Shopping

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
One of my BIG Christmas catalogs came in last week and I just placed a huge order today. I am one of those people that starts Christmas shooping on December 26th at the after-Christmas sales and keep buying whenever I see things during the year that I think are "perfect" for someone on my list. I am actually a little behind this year as we left for Ireland on December 26th last year. I did pick up a few things for people in Ireland though. Usually I am done shopping by Thanksgiving. I will go out shopping once or twice in December just to get into the Christmas spirit, see the decorations, etc.

When do you start your shopping?

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have a very small family (um....being a sum total of one, actually!) so I don't really start shopping til the week before Christmas! The 'one' being my Dad, he usually ends up with the promise of dinner in the New Year when I can't find anything in the shops (and he does the same to me!)

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I didn't shop at all last year, and won't be shopping this year either. Being newlyweds has been a bit taxing on the wallet.

Normally I start in early November.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually start in October. There are too many birthday's in August and September to start before then, but I do like to start a bit early. Especially since I'm always sooo broke!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need to get into the Christmas spirit before I start buying gifts and usually that means snow on the ground.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done the Christmas club thing for several yrs-the check comes sometime mid October but I've already started some stuff already!!! If I want to get any gardening stuff for people I have to buy it now.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty early, but don't have a ton of things to get. I am actually going to order my holiday cards this week (I have a tradition of ordering from UNICEF as a way to give a donation too)

My thing is I just want to have time to enjoy the holidays, it's my favorite time of year, so I don't want to have last minute errands to run.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually start right after Thanksgiving. I'm a huge fan of Black Friday. There have been years where I haven't finished until Christmas Eve though. It's kinda fun to go shopping that day too. Who am I kidding I could go shopping any day!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a list and pick ONE DAY to go, by myself. No kid or friends allowed; just me!

And I get it all done in one fell swoop --- in December --- I make it fun... wear the goofy Christmas sweatshirt, glowing earrings, bows in my hair. Total dork a'shopping.

And whatever I cannot find in stores? I hit Amazon.com or the trusty eBay right from the comfort of my own home.

My neighbor brags all the time about how she's already done with all her Christmas shopping. Like it's a race or something.

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have got older, I have tended to buy things throughout the year so that come Christmas I am totally organised!

pinkmartini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm horrible at Xmas shopping... I procrastinate like nobody else! I don't start shopping until like the WEEK before xmas
But the good thing is, that I usually only have my fiance to shop for, sooo it's not that big of a deal

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest problem is all my Grandkids are teenagers, 18, two are 17 one is 14, and then one a little younger 12, they never know what they want in advance because they see something new everyday
And there spoiled rotten, they want DVD players MP3 players, and they don't like anything without a designer name
I was never that lucky never
But they are good kids and gracious that counts for a bunch in my eyes
And I Love them anyway

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goal is to be finished before Halloween.

That way I'll be able to use my Christmas bonus on something other than someone else's presents!

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

My biggest problem is all my Grandkids are teenagers, 18, two are 17 one is 14, and then one a little younger 12, they never know what they want in advance because they see something new everyday
And there spoiled rotten, they want DVD players MP3 players, and they don't like anything without a designer name
I was never that lucky never
But they are good kids and gracious that counts for a bunch in my eyes
And I Love them anyway
Sounds like a few VISA gift cards would be just the ticket for your bunch.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I do most of my Christmas shopping online, I pick out things I want to get throughout the year and wait till the last possible moment to order for it to get here in time. If I get them any sooner I can't keep myself from giving them early!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family & I no longer exchange Christmas presents.
Over time, we became offended by how commercial it has become.
Instead of giving each other gifts, if we are able, we do volunteer work during the Christmas season.
It is a wonderful gift that we give to ourselves...a reminder to help others less fortunate.

Now we are free to give each other gifts whenever we feel like it.

It works for us.

Lei

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seven people to buy for and I've just started: T-shirts and pants, for the twins. At the end of this month, I'll buy one tricycle and buy the second one next month. (Don't tell the twins that they're getting trikes for Christmas
)

Bill is hard to buy for. I'll have to hit the NASCAR shop. Mom is easy. I know what kind of clothes that she likes, as well as knickknacks. I'm going to order the Iwo Jima Memorial commemorative coin, for my dad. An ols Marine will appreciate that. I always stick $50 bills into cards, for Mark and Sam. If Mark doesn't clean up his act, by Christmas, I'll just give Sam $100.