Christmas present to you from you

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Every year for Christmas, I buy something to me from me. It's usually not much, just something that I'd been thinking about, but never seemed to get around to buying it for myself.

I have a very old pair of Genesis II speakers, circa mid 1970s, that has seen better days. The woofers, etc have no holes or anything and are still in good shape, but the grills have been snagged to the ends of the earth and back, mostly because of Ms. Pepe, but then Mollipop and Tabby helped them along. I've always wanted to redo the grills.

I ordered the material today to do the grills over. And then, just because, I found two GENESIS speaker emblems on eBay and immediately scarfed them, too. I have no idea what happened to my original emblems; they might be in a junk box in the basement, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.

So, for about $60, my speakers will, once again, look half-decent....until Molli decides to scratch them again.

These speakers are awesome (to me) and they've been through a lot. Not just from me, but also from our son. He, in fact, keeps asking me if he can have them and I keep saying, "You want speakers, sweet cheeks? You buy speakers! Can't have mine!" He listens to a lot of easier music these days. These speakers were brought up on classic rock!

I'm excited!

Do you buy something just for yourself for Christmas? It doesn't have to cost a small fortune, just something you've been wanting or thinking about?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester you can do anything! I thought you were going to say you were buying new speakers and you are fixing up your originals. I am so impressed.

Yes, I like to buy myself something. DH usually takes a friend and goes out to buy his gifts for me. This year, I told him I wanted my Christmas to be cat presents (they need a big cat tree, Bob would love it).

I want a water bottle with a filter in it. We have the best ice at work (like from a fast food restaurant) but unfortunately it is from city water. I drink ice water all night there. I am getting a filtered tumbler as a gift to me. I could have stolen one as my gift at the family Dirty Santa party, but my cousin was being mean and I got distracted. I forgot it was even in play. :disappointed:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I do buy myself a few things every year for Christmas. This year a new jigsaw puzzle, and a purse I have been lusting over for months. But the big gift(s) is coming in January when I am getting a new stove and clothes dryer. The stove oven will have a built in air fryer and I am pretty excited about that.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback Not only have those chairs been Accepted, they've been Taken Over!
susanm9006 susanm9006 Nice! New stove and dryer! And an air fryer to boot!
nurseangel nurseangel Can't think of a better gift than a cat tree. And I like your idea of a filtered water bottle. When I was working, my bottle and I were joined at the hip.

We're also going to re-wire the stereo system. Those cables have seen better days, especially the ones from the receiver to the speakers. I think those cables are 30+ feet long! Why? Because our son and I used to take the speakers out of the house and put them on the deck and blare the music while we were in the pool all afternoon; we could load the CD player and let it go. We don't do that anymore outside, so we can get rid of those cables and get something else. That will have to wait until after Christmas and we get the decorations put away and I have room to crawl around on the floor. (Rick says he's going to hang out in the Shed until I'm finished. And he might take the cats with him, so they don't have to hear the language during my little project. He does not do stereos, computers, etc. That's always been my job. And I enjoy playing around.)

I can't afford new speakers, nor do I really want them. I can't explain it. Rick has often said that we should buy new speakers, but I really do like my Gennies. I've had them forever.

As for me doing the speaker work, I wouldn't think it would be difficult. Of course, that could be those "famous last words" coming back to bite me!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mani mani a gift for the cats is a gift for yourself! Seeing them happy is what makes my little world go round. (I hate to call you out, as you are a mod and you do know where I live. Remember all that was explained with the digging a hole and ending up at your house?) :lol:

Plus, I ordered myself a humidifier last night to keep the bedroom cooler and needed to buy a little something extra in order to get free shipping. So I bought Bob a kicker toy that looks like a pickle and says something on it like, "I'm a big dill." Hilarious! He's going to love it. Don't worry for my girls. They don't play much now unless Bob forces them to play his victims, but they'll love a new cat tree.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only have those chairs been Accepted, they've been Taken Over!
Yep, it's going to be a battle when there are two humans and two cats in the house again! :lol:

mani mani a gift for the cats is a gift for yourself! Seeing them happy is what makes my little world go round. (I hate to call you out, as you are a mod and you do know where I live. Remember all that was explained with the digging a hole and ending up at your house?) :lol:
:flail:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually buy myself a Pusheen blind box or two. I wrap them and put them under the tree even and open Christmas morning.
AC77C93F-7BDD-430E-B773-EEB590219E68.jpeg

You can see a few on my shelf here. Typically my husband asks what I want and buys it or I do. So there isn’t always actually anything to unwrap on Christmas morning unless my kids come up with something. It’s nice to have something too. (Sometimes DH does find things and wrap them. He’s never shopped from the Amazon wishlist called “Things MoochNNoodles Likes” though.:lol:)

I also stuff my own stocking; but it’s usually candy and lip balm type things.

The other day DS and I ran into Walmart and they had these telescoping back scratchers like one of them got me a few years ago but has since broken. I told DS “Pretend you’re getting me this for Christmas” and stuck it in my cart.:lol: He rolled his eyes and smiled.:lol: