Christmas Market (Picture Heavy)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How beautiful! That should get anyone into the Christmas spirit!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely pictures!

We have something similar here all year long, but it's not themed for any one particular holiday. It's a large area where several old train terminals were converted into indoor market squares. Outside there is a boat dock, an area that is converted into a skating rink in the winter. There is also an archiological dig, a river walkway and a baseball diamond, and outdoor arena for concets etc. At one time there was a Christmas Store, but I haven't been there in a few years so I don't know if it's still there or not. I loved that store!

Forks Market Pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_For...ipeg,_Manitoba

The inside of the main building is a huge open market where you can buy all kinds of things from specialty cheeses to meats to veggies to jewery or clothing etc. People can rent a spot and set up a table for a weekend too, but it's quite costly to do so. There are also food stands and a great candy store with the best homemade fudge that you can watch them make.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Although, I still have to send you a quick
for bragging about being able to pop in everyday!

I'll have to try and meet you there one lunch so we can get a Gluhwein together!
All those goodies are far too tempting though! I love the chocolate coated fruit kebabs
I have to at least walk through it every day to get to the shops - such a hardship!

Yes - if you're making a trip to the markets let me know and we can meet for bratwurst and gluhwein.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Lovely pictures!

We have something similar here all year long, but it's not themed for any one particular holiday. It's a large area where several old train terminals were converted into indoor market squares. Outside there is a boat dock, an area that is converted into a skating rink in the winter. There is also an archiological dig, a river walkway and a baseball diamond, and outdoor arena for concets etc. At one time there was a Christmas Store, but I haven't been there in a few years so I don't know if it's still there or not. I loved that store!

Forks Market Pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_For...ipeg,_Manitoba

The inside of the main building is a huge open market where you can buy all kinds of things from specialty cheeses to meats to veggies to jewery or clothing etc. People can rent a spot and set up a table for a weekend too, but it's quite costly to do so. There are also food stands and a great candy store with the best homemade fudge that you can watch them make.
Oh wow, they're cool! We have an ice rink too - but it's further into the Centre, where they hold the Farmers' Markets!

Originally Posted by urbantigers

All those goodies are far too tempting though! I love the chocolate coated fruit kebabs
I have to at least walk through it every day to get to the shops - such a hardship!

Yes - if you're making a trip to the markets let me know and we can meet for bratwurst and gluhwein.
Oh definitely! I'll give you a shout, as I need to get some bits and bobs from there too!

I think it would kill me to have to walk through without buying/eating/drinking anything!

Originally Posted by yayi

Wow! How many types of sausages on the grill?
Surprisingly, there are only two types, spicy and plain! The fist time I saw that, my eyes nearly popped out of my head at the number they have on there!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I think it would kill me to have to walk through without buying/eating/drinking anything!
who said anything about walking through without buying/eating/drinking anything?!
Just about to set off for lunch now but it's raining heavily so I don't think I'll be lingering today.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

who said anything about walking through without buying/eating/drinking anything?!
Just about to set off for lunch now but it's raining heavily so I don't think I'll be lingering today.
But you can always take shelter under the sausage stand!

Shame the weather has turned - hopefully it'll improve by the end of the week and we can do lunch!!

Don't spend too much!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Oh wow, they're cool! We have an ice rink too - but it's further into the Centre, where they hold the Farmers' Markets!
I dug up the website for it so that you can see better pictures.

At this link there are still photos of different things:

http://www.theforks.com/190

At this link there is a live webcam. It's a bit odd in the way it works. You can see it's live and it will flip through several frames, stop and let you look at the end result then flip through several more frames as the camera moves so that you get a view of some more of the site. So if the camera stops, just wait about 10 or 15 seconds and it will unfold more. It shows The Forks and does a panoramic circle showing the area surrounding it. So you can see some of the downtown buildings. I live across the river from the building that looks like a castle.

Hopefully the link works, if not, there is a 'webcam' link on the page at the link above.

http://www.theforks.com/webcam/index.html

I don't know how many square miles it covers, but it's a whole lot. It's huge. The buildings are 2 or 3 stories tall and there are specialty shops and stands of various kinds on all levels. Places you can buy art, or essenial oils, or ethnic jewelery/clothing. And a couple of nice restaurants.

Now I have the urge to go, LOL

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Hey, I just read an article about German festivals! http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...hristmas_x.htm

Maybe Tricia has been to some of those????
I was just going to ask Sar if Manchester had imported a German Christmas Market! I've been to Nuremberg's, Munich's, Augsburg's, and Stuttgart's, natch, but find them a bit claustrophobic. Here in Stuttgart, they bring in buses of Swiss and French tourists, and you can barely squeeze through. I do enjoy the separate "Artisans' Christmas Market", though, which is housed in the train station.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I was just going to ask Sar if Manchester had imported a German Christmas Market! I've been to Nuremberg's, Munich's, Augsburg's, and Stuttgart's, natch, but find them a bit claustrophobic. Here in Stuttgart, they bring in buses of Swiss and French tourists, and you can barely squeeze through. I do enjoy the separate "Artisans' Christmas Market", though, which is housed in the train station.
Yes, Manchester basically does import the German Market! We also have a lot of Local Farmers produce and a great deal of UK produced items, but the majority is German (or Polish/German as the case may be at times)

It can at times get very claustrophobic, but as far as I'm aware, we don't have coach loads of people shipped in! From what I have noticed, it seems to be a lot of enthusiasts like myself!

I agree that the separate areas are a lot more comfortable as they are away from the main area - plus you can actually get a seat!

I have been to a Spring Artisans' Market in Germany (Munchen sp?) and thought it was fantastic! I wish they'd bring a little of that with them when they come here!