Christmas gift questions/thoughts?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of gift do you usually get people who help you out? I mean on a regular basis

What is an appropriate type of gift for my housekeeper? (I was thinking of a calendar)

Also, what about people you interact with on a semi-regular basis, is there an expectation to get them a gift? People like your accountant, lawyer,tailor, etc anyone who does a service for you?

THe other question is, would it be appropriate to give my Bible Study leader a gift?

I obviously already know family gets gifts and a couple of close friends of mine..........

How do you handle Christmas gift giving?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I bake cookies for a lot of people and I mail them out to friends. They really seem to like them.

Our mail carrier gets a tin of assorted homemade cookies along with a small monetary gift tucked inside a Christmas card. The gift is from the cats; she loves our cats and will often stop by simply to see them.

I will give my hair stylist a nicer tip than usual. I see her every month and we're pretty good friends now, too. I gave her a gift certificate when she had her baby.

Our pet sitter gets a small gift, along with some cookies. I put a box of cookies and a small monetary gift out for the trash guys; they take our garbage every week and that's a lot of cat litter.

At work, the people in my office always go together to buy something for our boss. He always gives us something very nice in return. 

I have a dentist appt in November; I'll take along a tray of homemade cookies. Our dentist has a serious sweet tooth
 and loves homemade cookies. I'll take a tray of cookies down to our vet in late November or early December. 

We buy gifts for my sister and BIL, our son and DIL, and the grandchildren (the grandkids are a little spoiled). Rick's parents, although they're difficult to buy for; if they want something they just buy it. We buy for each other.  Oh, we give my brother and SIL a gift certificate to Dunkin Donuts; don't laugh, they live there 24/7.

That's pretty much it. We do nothing for anybody else.....at least that I can think of right off-hand. We don't have a housekeeper or anything like that. If we did, I'd probably give her whatever we'd pay for the week, in addition to her normal pay. So it we paid her $100, I'd give her another $100  as a gift. Somebody on another board I frequent talked about gifting housekeepers and cleaners and they said that was standard. Me, I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I obviously don't give Christmas presents but we do on.the Jewish new year. I.pay my cleaner monthly so I give her half of what she makes. That's it.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give gifts to all of the people you mention, and you also don't have to give any at all. That's the beauty of a gift, it is not an obligation, and nobody feels entitled to one. (If they do, then it's called something else.)

By their very definition, gifts are given willingly while expecting nothing in return. Give gifts to the people you like, not people you hire for their services (unless you really like them).

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cleaner I hire to work ffor me has been with me for 27 years. I think she deserves a gift just for putting up with me. Jokes apart that's how I feelbregarding her.