Christmas Feast :)

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello

As it's Christmas I spoil my cats, who get a special feast, I was wondering if you do the same, and is it too much or okay just for Christmas?

We celebrated Christmas today as family had to work in emergency services tomorrow. Of course I include my 5 cats who has a huge feast today, and a small feast tomorrow.

Started the day with some smoked freshly cooked ham.
They had some turkey at lunch, followed by some pork leg.
For their dinner I got the 4 that eat wet food some Iams Christmas flavours pouches. They didn't eat too much of it, they were very hungry as about 6 hours passed since their last meal, and my cats eat little and often.
We finish the day with their favourite dry treats, a whole 400g bag. That's 14 oz

Tomorrow they should have leftover dry treats for breakfast, I just poor it into another bowl and they are happy to eat it.
For lunch they have left over beef (which will be cooked for our lunch tomorrow), left over pork, ham and turkey.
The 4 that eat wet food won't have iams again as they didn't truely enjoy it, they will have regular premium wet food what they always have for dinner, I will gift the iams to charity
Then during the night they will have the other bag of treats, same size and Christmas flavour as tonight's.

I know that it seems a lot but we don't give them loads, maybe a slice between 5 of each meats.

Edit: the treat bag size is 200g not 400g.

Last edited:

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like your question and wanted to show you Milo’s Thanksgiving Feast :) we will do Christmas tomorrow :) Anyway, the middle is a bit of yogurt with a bit of whipped cream and the sides are his two favorite wet foods lol.. I think our kitties will be fine but, I’m glad we have experts on here just in case :hellocomputer:

Attachments

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a funny story. I use to give my cats the giblets from the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey as well as some turkey itself and they just loved it. I lost both cats this year. One in Nov 2016 and one Feb 2017. I have a rescue now that I got at the end of March. On Thanksgiving I gave him some of the liver cut up into little pieces about the size of dry food. He ran over as I set the bowl down like usual but when he stuck his nose down to eat it he just looked up at me, down at the bowl and, back up at me and just went....meow! He had a look on his face that was priceless. It was like, what is this, why are you giving me this? He wouldn't touch it! I wound up giving him his normal wet food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't give our cats any special foods on special occasions other than maybe an extra treat or two. Honestly, I think a new toy or a good sprinkle of catnip or portion of plain (totally unseasoned) meat (like the turkey giblets!) is best. Our vet told us about a case where someone fed a lobster to a cat on its birthday and the cat died... cats just aren't always able to handle people foods like lobster so she advises taking it very easy.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sometimes get my cats chicken breast and chicken liver. I cook them both and offer it to them as a treat (not much liver even though they adore it because of the Vitamin A overload possibility. For a while, Scooter was up for a scrambled egg, but he got tired of it. But yeah...I have some chicken and chicken liver ready to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad I am not the only one, we have all these meats and my cats can obviously smell. It, it would be cruel not to give them some wouldn't it?

Bubbles may get milk later as he does not eat wet food. I had to put some iams on their mouths for my cats to eat it.

I really like your question and wanted to show you Milo’s Thanksgiving Feast :) we will do Christmas tomorrow :) Anyway, the middle is a bit of yogurt with a bit of whipped cream and the sides are his two favorite wet foods lol.. I think our kitties will be fine but, I’m glad we have experts on here just in case :hellocomputer:
I have never tried my cats with yogurt, is there any recommendations on what type?

This is a funny story. I use to give my cats the giblets from the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey as well as some turkey itself and they just loved it. I lost both cats this year. One in Nov 2016 and one Feb 2017. I have a rescue now that I got at the end of March. On Thanksgiving I gave him some of the liver cut up into little pieces about the size of dry food. He ran over as I set the bowl down like usual but when he stuck his nose down to eat it he just looked up at me, down at the bowl and, back up at me and just went....meow! He had a look on his face that was priceless. It was like, what is this, why are you giving me this? He wouldn't touch it! I wound up giving him his normal wet food.
I am sorry for your loss, we lost our Labrador 6 weeks ago, it's hard this Christmas not getting him his Christmas meal treats. I would of loved to see your cats face, they are priceless in this situation lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guys always get to share the Christmas turkey, which they adore. This year, I also got them 'Christma Dinner' wet food too - Lily's Kitchen for the cats and Forthglade for the dog. The pony just gets an extra carrot or two ;)

I usually get them pure meat cat and dog treats too (freeze dried for the kitties and dried/air dried for the dog), which get eaten gradually over the coming weeks.

My heart goes out to anyone who is having their first Christmas without a beloved fur-family member or members :rbheart: I lost my two old boys in January, (a greyhound and a BSH cat), and their presence is sorely missed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have never tried my cats with yogurt, is there any recommendations on what type?
A small amount of plain yogurt is best. You should avoid yogurt with sugar or artificial sweeteners. We gave a tiny bit of yogurt on a spoon to our cat, Sylvester, many years ago. We just let him lick it off the spoon and he never forgot it. Any time I would get my yogurt out he would be right beside me expecting to get a lick. :wink:

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guys always get to share the Christmas turkey, which they adore. This year, I also got them 'Christma Dinner' wet food too - Lily's Kitchen for the cats and Forthglade for the dog. The pony just gets an extra carrot or two ;)

I usually get them pure meat cat and dog treats too (freeze dried for the kitties and dried/air dried for the dog), which get eaten gradually over the coming weeks.

My heart goes out to anyone who is having their first Christmas without a beloved fur-family member or members :rbheart: I lost my two old boys in January, (a greyhound and a BSH cat), and their presence is sorely missed.
I am sorry for your loss.

A small amount of plain yogurt is best. You should avoid yogurt with sugar or artificial sweeteners. We gave a tiny bit of yogurt on a spoon to our cat, Sylvester, many years ago. We just let him lick it off the spoon and he never forgot it. Any time I would get my yogurt out he would be right beside me expecting to get a lick. :wink:
A yogurt like this, https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253444444
A Greek style okay?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly, a little plain yogurt with no sweeteners or flavorings or fruits added. And yes some cats really love yogurt! I once had a kitten who was supposed to get small amounts of yogurt after taking antibiotics (to bring bacteria back to her stomach) and she loved it so much that she got it all over her face... so we named her Yogurt Face! (Worse: her brother was Sticky Tail because he got into the trash and got something on his tail that just wouldn't come off...)

And yes, G gaogier , that yogurt looks fine! Greek would be fine, too, just as long as it's plain, no fruit or sugar.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will get natural Greek yogurt as a treat here and there in the new year. I hate this time of year going out is a massive pain, from 15th December to January 5th.

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought the same thing when I found this thread! :)
For yogurt I’ve come to eat GoGurt .. in the tubes for children. They have a mild flavor and probably aren’t so stuffed with extra probiotics? They may have more preservatives but, it’s only as a treat once in a blue moon. Plus, he looooves it - knows what the tubes look like and pulls my arm down to share. My vet had said that as long as he doesn’t show signs of lactose intolerance it was ok to give him a bit of that or cheese to help when he needed medicine once. It’s the only human food he’s shown any interest in too lol. Hope that helps

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yes loosing our fur friends is terrible and that was well put. Sorry for all your losses too. After my 10 yr old Mainecoon, I’d had since a kitten, passed I was convinced I wouldn’t be able to get any other kitty.. hang in there. I wasn’t expecting lil Milo and I’m eternally thankful he picked me. Perfect timing too.

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly, a little plain yogurt with no sweeteners or flavorings or fruits added. And yes some cats really love yogurt! I once had a kitten who was supposed to get small amounts of yogurt after taking antibiotics (to bring bacteria back to her stomach) and she loved it so much that she got it all over her face... so we named her Yogurt Face! (Worse: her brother was Sticky Tail because he got into the trash and got something on his tail that just wouldn't come off...)

And yes, G gaogier , that yogurt looks fine! Greek would be fine, too, just as long as it's plain, no fruit or sugar.
Oh! Oops no more gogurt for Milo! I should learn to eat adult food anyway. Thanks. I know it doesn’t have seeds or anything but the sugar I didn’t manage to consider somehow