Christmas dinner ideas?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, we know that we are getting a spiral sliced, honey glazed ham, and Earl will have his green bean casserole. Some kind of potatoes, but we haven't decided what yet.

What else can we make for Christmas dinner? I'm always at a bit of a loss when it comes to a ham dinner as far as side dishes...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, for me, a ham dinner is not complete without scalloped potatoes and Harvard beets.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This year for christmas dinner we are having the usual ham, turkey, chicken & lamb - and plenty of roast potatoes, and boiled beans and broccoflower and cheese sauce. Then for something different this year we are also having salads as well.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm yummy i think i would take lots of rich mash potatoes with gravy, broccoli, collieflower and carrots!!
and maybe peas too if cooked right

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Orange-Carrot Jello, Sweet potatoes (with marshmellos), Fresh salad...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you guys definitely inspired me to spend a lot of money at the grocery store tonight! LOL It all sounded so good!

So we are having the ham, cornbread, crescent rolls (Earl doesn't like cornbread all that much), green bean casserole, roasted potatoes, yams, corn, asparagus, and for dessert...a brownie cheesecake.
Oh, I can't wait! Oh yeah, and for breakfast we got a yummy butter streusel coffee cake.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making a ham, got some turkey breast (Uncle loves sandwiches), mashed taters, green bean casserole and homemade cranberry / orange relish (it's a Martha Stewart recipe I made for Thanksgiving and OH BOY is it GOOOOD!). Crescent rolls, because no one likes any other kind of rolls...

Momma is bringing sweet taters & spinach salad. Auntie is bringing her famous nut cookies (About 2,000 calories per bite, but *utter heaven*). My cousin is bringing artichoke casserole.

Dessert... which of course is the best... I'm making a maple pumpkin pie, and this chocolate lava pie (great with ice cream). Oh yah and to kick things off, mulled wine, made in a crock pot. Warms ya right up, we will need the warmth, because not only is everyone sick but it's gonna be a lovely white Christmas here in Cincinnati!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having ham also, with cheesy hash brown casserole, green bean casserole, baked beans ( I have a to die for recipe from a rib joint in syracuse NY using canned baked bean, sausage etc), rolls and 4 million christmas cookies!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you folks do your green bean casserole?

I have a recipe that I do with crumbled bacon and white sauce but would love to hear your recipe.

I also make a broccoli cauliflower casserole that I've been doing for years and have been told by my in-laws that if I don't make it, not to show up!

I've also done a beet and pear casserole, and a turnip and apple one.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making twice baked potatos this year to go with the ham.

Basically, bake the potatos till soft, about an hour at 350. Cut the potato in half, then use a spoon to scoop out most of the pulp. Leave about 1" to support the skin. Mash the removed pulp with cream and an egg. Add cheese to taste. You can either scoop the mashed back into the shell or use a pastry bag to make it pretty. (This can all be done days ahead of time. Just make sure it is covered with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out) Bake 20 minutes @ 350 or till the potato is warmed through. You can sprinkle with bacon bits or paprika or extra cheese before baking.

Sandy

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

How do you folks do your green bean casserole?

I have a recipe that I do with crumbled bacon and white sauce but would love to hear your recipe.

I also make a broccoli cauliflower casserole that I've been doing for years and have been told by my in-laws that if I don't make it, not to show up!

I've also done a beet and pear casserole, and a turnip and apple one.
The only way I know of is mixing green beans with mushroom soup then sprinkling those french fried onions on top. Maybe someone else has a better recipe than that-I don't cook much!