Christmas celebrations

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be hard to believe today, but Christmas didn't used to be so widely celebrated. In fact, its celebration has been outlawed several times here and in the UK. By about 200 years ago, it was a fairly minor holiday.

However, two event in the first half of the 1800's changed all that and made the holiday much of what it is today.

Do you know what those two events were?

Hint: You DO know, because you have been reminded of them in the last month, I guarantee!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I don't know but I'll take a guess about one of the events-people started to shop at department stores such as macy's, belk, etc

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll take a stab at it.

The introduction of the Christmas tree by the royal family in Britain in the early 1800's (even though it took a while to spread across Britain and Europe and became widespread in America by the 1860s and 1870s)?

To add to what Utopia said above, there were a number of written works during the 1800s that helped contribute to Christmas crossing the line from being a predominatley religious holiday to a commerical holiday.

The celebrating of Christmas as a religious holiday was slow to spread in America thanks to groups like the Puritans who condemmned the holiday and considered it a Catholic invention. Christmas was banned in parts of England and in the colonies. During the Revolutionary War the holiday was considered an English custom and wasn't looked upon favorably. Christmas wasn't formally declared a US holiday until 1870 by President Grant; the Christmas card followed a few years later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

To add to what Utopia said above, there were a number of written works during the 1800s that helped contribute to Christmas crossing the line from being a predominatley religious holiday to a commerical holiday.
The Christmas tree was important, but not the major factor. In the paragraph above, you've actually hit on what I was looking for. Name the 2 works?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The Christmas tree was important, but not the major factor. In the paragraph above, you've actually hit on what I was looking for. Name the 2 works?
There are a lot to chose from. I'll go with "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and "A Visit From St. Nicholas" by Clement Clarke Moore as those two works.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno if thats what you're looking for but maybe I can add Thomas Nast' drawing of Santa Claus to those works

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dickens was the definitive author for Christmas and 'A Christmas Carol' set out many 'traditions' that barely existed before. And,a s said the introduction of the Christmas tree by Prince Albert.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Dickens was the definitive author for Christmas and 'A Christmas Carol' set out many 'traditions' that barely existed before. And,a s said the introduction of the Christmas tree by Prince Albert.
I'm with you in regards to Dickens, I'm positive his work had a major impact. I'm not sure about the second work. I'm interested in the answer.