Chlortrimaton

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw it is ok to give my cat chlortrimaton for allergies.

It says that this can cause difficult urinationin humansdo you think this could cause urinary blockage in cats?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give human medication or any medication for that matter to a cat without consulting the vet. Cats are very sensitive to the side effects of medications and it can easily kill them if you give the wrong one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
whatever. I know this drug is used by vets for allergies. Same as Benadryl and other h1 antihistamines.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It used for allergies as I've given it to my cat before, but you really should check with a vet as it's not right for all cats and to get the proper dosage for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok sounds good

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me a prescription of 2mg of chlorpheniramine (half of a 4mg tablet) every 12 hours for a couple of days (for my chunky 12.5 pounder cat)  I don't give it to him daily, only when his lip starts to swell up.  I try my best to not drug him. It is easier to eliminate what your cat is allergic to, if possible. That said if you do decide to medicate your cat now with the antihistamine .... you probably should still take your cat to the vet in a few days and have them prescribe the right medication. There are a handful of antihistamines for cats. You can look them up, Since my cat seems to be taking the anti-histamines only 3-5 days a month I'm not to worried about his urinary tract.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How bad is your cat's allergic reaction? Is it really necessary to drug your cat up? Also if the reaction is BAD  like my cat in this picture. He was past the point of antihistamines by then & needed a steroid shot.