Chloe's Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Puppy is the only one alive now. I'm very sorry to anyone reading this. I should have rushed them to the VET right away. I just didn't think life would be so fragile, nor did I believe a vet could truly help. Everything was sudden.

Chloe was in the living room a while ago and she was meowing looking for her kittens. 

Yesterday night, all the kittens kept crying. I fixated on the idea that they were cold. But now I believe they were sick. Sick perhaps from everyone peeing and excreteing on each other.

Leo kept crying all day after I came home earlier today while his closest brother Axle lay there quiet but moving -- didn't seem to be fading. But fade Axle  did and it was a very very long process, lasting for hours. I tried dropping goats milk into his moth, and unlike others Axle would drink it. So I didn't know at the time that Axle was fading.

Leo was crying LOUD all day. I thought it was about wanting to be with mom but when his mom sets up nest underneath my bed and drops the kittens 12 inches away from where she rests, it seemed like a case of simply missing the target. Eventually I pushed my bed away from the corner so that I can reach down and guide the kittens- Leo and Puppy, to their mother. But Leo would keep crying, moving vigorously, and didn't know what to do with mom's nipple or find it. But he would always quiet down when I held him in my hand. So again i thought it was about temperature and let him and his orange twin rest on my hand. Leo's chirping would let up in my hands but it was strange to me that he wouldn't stop crying even while on top of his mother's belly and would only stop while laying on the palm of my heads. Axle and Leo were the final 2 and the only 2 kittens that I saw Chloe giving birth to, as I came home before they were born. 

- There was no striving for food from Leo, while Axle lay quiet but moving and breathing comfortably in my hand. No rooting for and finding a nipple. He just kept crying, wet, soaked in urine as usual, and as usual, I'd do what I can to keep him warm and clean by wiping him up. But like all the others, Leo faded too. But unlike the others his was a steep decline. As soon as I started stroking him from head to tail, he seemed to find a real comfort and would quiet from his chirps. This repose pushed him quick into the fading phase where instead of sleeping he entered the same  spiral his siblings did, the same decomposition of form, the same open-mouth slow breathing. Followed by death.

I did not want to experience any of this. I did not want to know about any of this. I didn't want to admit it to myself but I was looking forward to my home become its own little Petco with kittens everywhere. I'm writing about this because it will help me cope.

I wanted Axle to survive the most. He was my favorite, a light-pink orange and had normal feet. He was named Axle Rose because Chloe would always respond and become very affectiionate whenever I'd whistle a section of the song November Rain. 

Puppy is sleeping. No chirps. For the first time in over 24 hours, there is peace. His nest is my bedroom floor. He pisses all over himself too, so I am worried. But he has a strong will to thrive, knows what to do with a nipple and knows how to find it. He cries only when he's away from mother and stops as soon as she comes around. He also dislikes me and my touch and does everything to get away. These are great signs as it shows instinct is in tact. I am going to the vet tommorow since it's my day off. I should have gone today but I was fixated on the wrong things and still desperately trying the goats milk and the body warmth.

A few minutes ago:

A few seconds ago:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Puppy is the only one alive now. I'm very sorry to anyone reading this. I should have rushed them to the VET right away. I just didn't think life would be so fragile, nor did I believe a vet could truly help. Everything was sudden.....
. I'm writing about this because it will help me cope.
Im deep sorry for you and your little family to go through this...   Im truly sorry.  Go through difficulties forward to a win = ie good life, is one thing.  Going through all this just to meet the disaster is something else....  I feel deeply with you.

Re the vet.    I understand what you are saying.  And I agree sort off. The truth is, not all vets are good at helping weak kittens. Many arent to be honest.  It costs sometimes even multum, but perhaps without real results.  So the usual advice nr 1 "go to the vet" often dont works here.   A determined rescuer with lotsa of common sense, patience and love is a much more safer bet in many such cases.   Even a similiar housewife may be a better bet.

But others vets are skilled also with weak kittens.  Especially if they cooperate with  rescue groups.   Or cooperate with serious breeders - whom of course do fight all out for their kittens whatever it costs in money and effort.   Unlike many average cat owners whose cat happened to get a litter.

So, try to sound out what sort of vet this is, and take your stand from there...

Nay, when I wrote about the vet visit, I thought in first hand on the mom.   The mom may have some fault bothering her, something, which makes her not really interested, having not the force to engage in 100%, just in 50%.    And possibly causing her not to give enough with milk, or the milk perhaps watery.

And vets, even a so so vet, is usually much better with adult cats than small, weak kittens.

Warm hugs, and  *vibes!* to you ChloeJune, and to your mom and her kitten.

RIP  little ones!

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: After I washed Puppy, the mother finally started making a routine out of licking and cleaning his bottom. So that's great news! I thought Chloe was just devoid of that part of her motherly instinct.

It feels great being able to hold Puppy without the smell of urine etc on the hand. He sleeps on my chest sometimes and my bed.

As the days go by, Puppy cries less and less when mom is not around and sleeps for longer and longer periods of time, content to be a fat little newborn kitten. He's also recognizes my smell and gravitates towards my hand often. 

I have grown deeply fond of both the newborn and the mother in a way that I hadn't imagined possible before. 

Puppy is now a week old and he/she (not sure yet) is doing just fine as is the mother who is becoming more playful. And if I'm not mistaken Chloe is maturing. Her ears have gotten bigger, pointier, and her face less round. While puppy seems about 1/4 the size of his mother now, already. 

--

If I had to do this again, I wouldn't feel so shy about giving newborn kitten baths. What I did was run Puppy's body (not his head) under very slow warm running water - minimal sound-  and used antibacterial soap. The water dilutes urine and other excrement and the soap helps to clean. The important part of this is drying them. Like long hair doesn't quite dry even after towels and blowdriers, so a LOT of attention and handwarmth is needed to keep the kittens safely warm after baths. It was difficult to do this in the chaos of the first few days and with 6 kittens.  I kept my hand on him as he suckled on mother. 

I have also learned that any kittens crying even near mom is a sign of sickness. Temperature is one thing. Hygiene is another thing. Nutrition is still another thing. But there is also the real possibility that kittens have gotten sick from a lack of the previous variables. And if a newborn kitten is sick, then there's nothing except taking the kitten to vet that one can do.

The real problem now is that I don't want to give Puppy away. No one will appreciate this cat as I do.

Last edited:

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten's tongue feels smooth and is not sandpaper rough at all. 

Is this normal? 

beeofthewoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At this age, the mother is normally bathing the kitten, and the kitten is only drinking the mother's milk.  So, it probably has no need for a rough tongue, and those "things" on it's tongue will develop in the coming weeks, I'm pretty certain.

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 4 weeks old today, and has very recently discovered her legs. Her walk is still very wobbly but here is what I find interesting:

Her home is either my bed or her cardboard tray (or both as when I have her tray on my bed), where she has slept most of the time. But since she can see now and walk (a bit) now, I have put her on the floor to explore for a few minutes at a time. When I think she's explored enough, I put her back on my bed:  The kitten becomes VERY FAST, fast like a mouse. She starts darting back and forth quicker than I usually see her walk. It's almost as if she's giddy or maybe happy to be back "home" on my bed.

Just wanted to share that with you all.

Last edited:

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

At this age, the mother is normally bathing the kitten, and the kitten is only drinking the mother's milk.  So, it probably has no need for a rough tongue, and those "things" on it's tongue will develop in the coming weeks, I'm pretty certain.
thought it would be interesting if my kitten's tongue stayed smooth. all of her kisses right now are