chin biting?

marli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty Nat is 8 weeks old. I've had her 2 weeks. I made the mistake of letting her play with my hands, and she got used to biting them, but now I'm disciplinging her not too, by just saying no, and then not playing with her. She's getting the idea for the most part. The wierd thing is, is when I'm laying down, she'll walk on me, up to my face to give me a kiss and then lays down,kneads at me, and then bites me on the chin a few times. It is the strangest thing. I hate to yell at her after getting a kiss, and she doesn't lay on anyone else. It's more like a nip most times.
Is this ok to let go?

Oh PS, now when she runs after my hands instead of biting them she does a body slam against my arm, and falls on her side, gets up runs away, and does it again, it's quite funny lol

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spunky does the same to my mom. She lets him get away with it. He also loves eyeballs. Mom now has a lovely abrasion. Took her 3 weeks to recover and it acts up now and then.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betsy nips, then licks my chin & cheeks. I just let it go, it's really up to you what is acceptable behaviour for your kitty, just remember that something which is cute as a kitten may not be as a grown cat.

Scampi is a body slammer too, we call her a little flirt because she slams into me or hubby rolls onto her back like she wants a tummy rub then jumps up runs away and starts all over.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie used to bite my nose as a kitten. I just used to let her because it wasn't that hard and she grew out of it eventually, plus it was so sweet when i think back to how tiny she was when she did it

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine bites my husbands chin. Well- not bitesit really- more just investigates it with his mouth. I think it's because of the beard stubble.
They only have a few ways of discerning the texture and nature of objects, and mouthing them is one. As he never really bites anything I don't worry too much about it.

We have a saying in the grooming industry- "if it isn't bleeding it's not a bite".
My cats all show pretty good bite inhibition as far as hands and feet go as they stop themselves if they accidently feel contact, so I'm happy.

Loomis just likes to feel beardy chins!

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my girl does this. only she will bite my lip hard...today she actually broke skin... I usually.... talk sternly or throw her on the floor (not really throw!) she is slowing learning that she can't bite my lips or I won't let her sit with me.

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat ~lightly~ bites my chin when he wants attention. He normally does it when I lay down to go to bed at night.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 week old kitten who does the same thing- I have been growling and swatting at her ( especially if she is biting my face-the other cats growl and swat at her, so she understands that- and I don't mean bash her
) and telling her "No bite!" and she is finally getting the point- now she runs, bodyslams me, gives me a quick bite
(smaller than before) and takes off!
It's progress, at least!
And she has been getting sweeter and cuddlier as she's learning that momma (she's a bottle baby) does NOT want bit!

If she's really bad, I go get her a small stuffed animal to attack (she likes my daughter's squirrel stuffy and the monkey I got her from the dollar tree
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

If she's really bad, I go get her a small stuffed animal to attack (she likes my daughter's squirrel stuffy and the monkey I got her from the dollar tree
)
It sounds like we're going thru the exact same thing!!!

Check out my posting on the pictures site:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88308

mimiwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 'Shnuggles' is 6 yrs old, and never did the biting thing as a kitten. But now, when he wants me up in the morning, he 'bites' my fingers or hands. More like a 'chewing' or 'gnawing' actually, it's not painful, just irritating. And when I hide all my exposed body parts under the covers, he claws at my hair and chews on it. Sometimes, he actually wants something like fresh water in the bathroom sink or a handful of fresh food...when I get up I let him lead me where he wants me to go. But other times, I really think he just wants more attention. He already sleeps with my husband and me, so it can't be our 'presence' or 'company'. I think he actually wants me awake and paying attention to him. And he doesn't do this to my husband!!! He's a great cat, but at 4 or 5 am, it's not so cute anymore. You might want to keep that in mind when you think about kitten behavior that you don't mind becoming cat behavior that can get you a little irritable!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marli

It sounds like we're going thru the exact same thing!!!

Check out my posting on the pictures site:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88308
Oh, those are CUTE! I will have to post some pictures of Gretta, too (but probably tomorrow, I have dial up and my computer time is almost up
). Our kitties are the same color, but Gretta doesn't have any white
. And I cannot get anyone to even call about adopting her with a FREE spay neuter certificate (with a good vet reference) for anything!
I may have to spring for an ad in the paper (not free anymore!
). Will have to happen soon, because now I am torn between hoping someone will call and hoping no one ever calls! (the older she gets, the sweeter she gets
)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mimiwin

He's a great cat, but at 4 or 5 am, it's not so cute anymore. You might want to keep that in mind when you think about kitten behavior that you don't mind becoming cat behavior that can get you a little irritable!
Amen.
We have one who turns 10 this year and has JUST THIS YEAR stopped demanding to be picked up and put on the catfood table
. (The food was on the dryer in the hall when we first got her and she couldn't jump up there, so she would wait for someone to come by and plop her up there as they went by...
) I think she finally figured out we weren't doing it anymore after the baby came and got hungry! (2 1/2 yrs ago-who notices a squalling, spoiled rotten cat when the baby's hungry
)

marli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going nuts??

Catsallover, didn't you post pics of Greta with the Monkey, and I replied to it too, and those posts are gone??

I feel like I'm losing it!?

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marli

I think I'm going nuts??

Catsallover, didn't you post pics of Greta with the Monkey, and I replied to it too, and those posts are gone??

I feel like I'm losing it!?
You're not losing it.
Her pics have been moved to Fur Pictures. You can find them here.

lizk729

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Stormy who is 10 months old bites my chin when Im in bed. Shes a big snuggler at night and will come curl up at my side and lick my chin and face and then give me nips. But I let it go and call them her love bites.
She doesnt really hurt me and she is such a sweetheart.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat does that too
. But Gretta, she's wanting to play and she feels like she's trying to rip your face off.

She's getting better, though; now when I scold her, she gives me a quick ''so there!" bite and darts away.

And by the way, I am typing one handed because she is curled up in my other under my chin, purring and falling asleep!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my girlies did this when they were little babies. I contributed it to their being bottle babies and I was the only Mommy they've known. They snuggled up against my neck and suck or nibble on my chin before falling asleep, perhaps the way they would have done with their kitty mommy.

marli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning I woke up to Nat standing at my face meowing, and then she started kneading my chin, then neck, and then started to try and get milk from my neck, I finally woke up fully to the pain of her claws in my flesh while she was kneading, and told her she wasn't going to get any milk from there, and pointed her towards her milk dish, lol.
Then I got up, went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, and had red marks all on my neck! I was like "no way!!! a hickey from my kitten, what am I going to tell everyone at work!!" lol....well the red spot went away, but I'm still telling everyone about it anyway! lol

cuddles2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does this too. I think it's a loving gesture...i don't think they are meaning to actually bite. She will rub her head on my chin and cheek and then kind of nibble on my chin once. I just let her do it. I think it's her own little way of showing me she loves me!

ameraka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does this. When I am cuddling him, he will look at me lovingly and then bite my chin. Sometimes after nuzzling me with his nose or putting his paw on my face. It doesn't break the skin but his teeth are sharp and it kind of hurts. I'd rather he didn't do it but I don't want to yell at him for what he thinks is a loving behavior. :) Sometimes if he bites too hard I will set him down and tell him to go away but he usually comes right back, sometimes to bite again.