Children of Men

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We really enjoyed the movie. We saw it on the big screen when it came out which probably made it more powerful. Yes it was violent, but it kind of had to be to show how desperate the situation was.
I agree. Without violence, it wouldn't have made sense. When threatened on a scale such as this, humanity does not react in a peaceable manner. Even so, it wasn't as violent as some of our big Hollywood blockbusters. The violence is just more personal. Hope that made sense

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I loved this film! The cinematography was beautiful, excellent story line and intense yet limited script. Though it is not about England's war against refugees....... Heres a detailed review if one wants to read....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/plotsummary
Basically its a great movie about the sacredness of life.
I agree, the cinematography was gorgeous

Originally Posted by nanner

This is one of my favorite books of all time, by P.D. James. I love her mystery novels, and this is different than those, but totally compelling. I've read it a couple of times and it's actually one of the "10 Books I Would Want On A Desert Island".

So, I was a little nervous about the movie before I saw it. You know how, when you really love a book, you see a movie version of it and sometimes it doesn't really hold up to what you had in your imagination?

So I waited and stepped back, and separated the two in my mind and went to see the movie. Loved it. For its own merits. It's not exactly the book, but it's a really good, and very disturbing, film.

In the book, it's the men who can't make the women pregnant. A disease has wiped out a man's ability to make sperm......which I thought was an interesting switch they did for the film.
I was thinking during the movie that I wonder if the problem lies with the men!

Originally Posted by lookingglass

I loved this movie more than I loved the book. I do have to say it's really violent, but it all seems to have a purpose and tells the story of how desperate humanity is at that point in time.
right, it's not violent just to be violent, it had to be to get the intended point across

Originally Posted by butzie

I saw it and I really liked it. I thought the ending showed some hope.
Hope, but a lot of unknown too
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ooh another movie I recommend is The Constant Gardener, if you enjoyed Children of Men, you'd probably enjoy this. It's another drama that gets you thinking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387131/
I'll have to check that out! I've been watching more films lately that aren't the typical Hollywood blockbuster and must say that I've been enjoying them
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I agree. Without violence, it wouldn't have made sense. When threatened on a scale such as this, humanity does not react in a peaceable manner. Even so, it wasn't as violent as some of our big Hollywood blockbusters. The violence is just more personal. Hope that made sense
I thnk that's what made it so disturbing, I can see the world descending into that kind of desperation

I'm so glad other folks have seen this movie and liked it!! As well as being disturbed by it