Chigger repellents safe for cats?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I manage several feral colonies, and one is in a wooded area with very tall grass surrounding it.

This year while trapping there, we have had a terrible time with chiggers. And right now, we’re out there trapping for about an hour a day.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any repellents (person use for skin/close and/or to treat an area outdoors) that are non-toxic to cats, as I know they’re quite sensitive to most products like this.

if you have a recommendation for the same sort of thing for mosquitoes (though would prefer treating the area to help kitties avoid heartworm in this case), that would be great too! We are being eaten alive out there right now lol 😫

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you're getting lots of views, but no answers on this one. I tried an internet search, but didn't really get anything that seemed to cover your question. I'm wondering if your Vet might be able to help you.

Are you actually touching these ferals, or just getting them into traps and them dropping them off at the Vet for spay/neutering? If you aren't actually coming in contact with them, I'm wondering if you all couldn't at least use insect repellent on the inside of your pant legs/top of your boots or inside the top of your socks where it wouldn't rub off on the grass yet might keep those horribly itchy critters away? maybe do the same on your wrist and cover with long sleeves and gloves? All I remember about chiggers is (I think) once you get them you can smother them with oil to get them to leave. But that might even be wrong since I haven't been around them for 55 years, thank goodness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, we’re concerned about using regular insect repellent, mostly on our shoes, because our cats at home love cuddling with our boots by the door lol.

After going out there again today, I’m pretty sure the ferals are being bitten too. We had been suspecting fleas, but hadn’t found any fleas on the last two friendly cats we had brought home from the colony recently.

So I’m thinking the itching might be from chiggers for them too, and I’m leaning toward treating the area if at all possible so they don’t have to be miserable like this. I mean, if we have these many bites just spending an hour at a time around low grass areas, I can’t imagine how bad it must be for them :(

I see a couple options online for treating an area outdoors to repel both mosquitoes and chiggers, which would be perfect. A couple say they’re safe for pets, but I’m a bit wary, because some years ago we used something similar for mosquitoes that said it was safe for pets, and one of the ferals had an immediate neurological reaction and died.

So I’m just nervous, especially because there are 6 young kittens out there right now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if you will find any helpful information in this article, given the habitat that you are working in, but thought I'd share it anyway.
How to Get Rid of Chiggers in Your Yard - Bob Vila

I have also heard that most of the flea treatments will work on chiggers too, but that is another unlikely solution for you since you are dealing with ferals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything that works on mosquitoes and ticks should work on chiggers, as well.

Although DEET is bad for cats, they have to ingest it or get it on them in order for it to have any negative effects. You should be able to use DEET-based repellents if you aren't coming into contact with cats. If you are careful when you apply insect repellent and don't take a total bath in it, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Just wash up, really well, ASAP when you get home to your own cats.

The same thing goes for pyrethroids... Bad for cats but, if you keep cats away while applying it and make sure that they stay away until the spray has dried, it won't be a problem. Give it a few hours or, better, a day before letting cats back into the area.

Aromatics like peppermint, cedar or citrus are somewhat effective at repelling mosquitoes and chiggers, they aren't as effective as other things and don't last very long.

Basically, if you have used been using certain products with success, before, in other situations, they should work just the same for chiggers. If you are using anything that you think that might be a problem for cats, just be sure to wash up before going home to your own cats.