Chicken wire...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to keep my cats enclosed in my backyard, as one really enjoys being outside. I have started to run chicken wire across the top of my six foot wooden privacy fence. I have bent the top of the chicken wire backwards, in towards our yard, and left it flimsy with no support brackets. Should this be enough to prevent escape? Do cats really hate chicken wire like many websites claim? Or am I wasting my time on this method? Thank you ahead of time for replies

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @jdp1886

I'm not sure if cats really hate chicken wire or not. I think anything that is too small for them to get through should do the trick, but cats are really clever at finding tiny holes or weak spots to squeeze through. It really depends on how determined an escape artist your cat is.

Anything that you can fit a fist into, your cat can fit his head in and once his head is through a hole, he's out. Also, if he is able to hang on the wire and loosen it he'll work out how to do that too.

Could you post some pictures of your fence here so we can see?

This is my thread about making a big enclosure to keep a feral colony in. It took a year of trial and error but I've finally got a cat proof fence.

[thread="276982"]Moving House Taking The Colony With Me​[/thread]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Let me know if that picture worked. Not the best picture...but I think you get the point. The chicken wire is curved back at the end and flimsy so getting a footing on it, I THINK, would be difficult.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How is the chicken wire attached to the fence? Is there any way he would be able to climb the fence and squeeze under it? I attached the netting to my wooden fence post by sandwiching the net between another thin plank of wood and nailing it to the horizontal post.  

Is your cat likely to try and climb out? I have two or three that repeatedly try to escape, the rest of them don't even bother.

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wire is stapled at the bottom so they cant squeeze under. I don't think one of my cats will, but one is used to escaping through a gap in the fence that I'm going to plug, so she may try.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's always one little Houdini who tries to find a way out, isn't there?

If your cats have had outdoor access before it won't be a total disaster if the fence doesn't keep them in at first. You'll just have to bring her back in and watch how they get out so you can modify it.

I spent a year trying to make the fence cat proof and one of them kept outsmarting me, but I seem to be winning for now. Lots of things in the yard to keep them interested, things to climb and bushes to hide under, will make them happier to stay in.

Let us know how it goes

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appreciate your responses and help

ravenseye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are that the cat who wants to get out, will. The cat who accepts it, won't.

Two weeks ago I decided to let a feral that I was acclimating since Memorial Day, come out into the shop. The shop was secured by latching the sliding doors and blocking them with a table. The next morning I found that my feral had lifted the window (that I left open a crack) , slit the window screen with her claws, and then either jumped or climbed two floors down to the barnyard. She jumped the 4 foot fence into the chicken coop for water and then waited outside until 5 AM for me to find her and let her back in. Props for her as she headed right back into her cage for food.

Cats will be cats.