Chicken Soup Adult Cat Food Formula Change?

curliegirlie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw online that the Chicken Soup brand has changed the formula for their Chicken Soup for the Soul Adult Dry Cat Food. It's now named "Chicken and Brown Rice."

The ingredients list looks fairly similar with a few omissions/additions. The new formula still has chicken, turkey, duck, and salmon, but ocean fish meal is now gone. Also white rice replaced with brown. One of the big things I noticed was "faba beans" is added, pretty high in the list of ingredients (number 6). I tried to google it in cat food, but all I could find where articles about beans, peas, and lentils for humans being given to cats. One article I read said eating too many of those can cause digestive upset, so only small amounts are OK.

I still have 5 bags of the old formula.
I compared the guaranteed analysis chart on one of my bags with the new formula on their website and the new formula has: less fat, more fiber, less zinc, more selenium, less vitamin E, slightly more omega-6 fatty acids, and more omega-3 fatty acids. Also taurine is in both ingredients list, but was left out of the new guaranteed analysis for some reason.

Now, I'm definitely not an expert on cat food ingredients and what's exactly right or wrong for them to eat, but I have four cats and this is the main food they've been eating their whole lives. A formula change makes me nervous, so basically my main questions are:

To anyone who feeds their cats this brand, have you gotten the new formula yet?
If so, how have your cats reacted to it?
I can't find much info on faba beans in cat food, should I be worried that it's now so high in the ingredients list of my cats' food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if those are fava beans? They are super nutritious, and if your cats like the new food, I think the changes you listed are for the better.
Try a slow transition from the old food to the new and hopefully all goes well :)!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fava beans are, indeed, very nutritious for humans, but they're vegetable protein so not ideal, accessible protein for cats. They'd be about like feeding the other legumes the OP mentioned. (FWIW I avoid all legumes for our cats because they have tricky digestive systems -- legumes are the last thing they need!)