Chicken Feed as Litter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know several people use this as cat litter. It sounds really cheap and I like that!

(I know stove pellets are cheap too, but my cats don't cover their poop with pellets and so the smell was always pretty bad, even with scooping/sifting twice a day. I tried Feline Pine but I'm assuming that the stove pellets are the same).

For the chicken feed, do I just walk in a feed store and ask for chicken feed? I know that's kind of a dumb question, but I didn't know if there were different types of chicken feed.

Also, how does chicken feed compare to World's Best Cat Litter?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to find these also. In other posts people have called them "chicken crumbles" but the feed stores around here don't carry anything called that and when I tried to describe what I was looking for they only came up with a product called Stall Dry. I know it's not what people are talking about about they advertise as being usable as cat litter. A friend is getting me a sample.

I'd sure like to know what exactly I should be asking for.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did some googling and it looks like maybe "laying crumbles" or "lay crumbles" is what we are looking for? It is a high protein feed that is supposed to help chickens produce eggs.

Do the "laying crumbles" make better litter than regular chicken crumbles?

Sorry for thread hijack Sakura!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And make sure the bag says unmedicated or does not say medicated on it. Ask someone who works there and double check the smaller ingredient label, too.
I use layer crumbles for mine because Tomas can't use clay litters.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

And make sure the bag says unmedicated or does not say medicated on it. Ask someone who works there and double check the smaller ingredient label, too.
I use layer crumbles for mine because Tomas can't use clay litters.
Does what you use clump?? I just got some Lone Start All Mash Crumbles and did a test with a little plain water. It didn't clump very well. A 50/50 mix of the crumbles and WBCL seems to work pretty well. I'll try that for a bit.

What I got doesn't seem to include any medicine. In fact, the ingredients list looks suspiciously similar to what I've seen on some bags of SD.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Does what you use clump?? I just got some Lone Start All Mash Crumbles and did a test with a little plain water. It didn't clump very well. A 50/50 mix of the crumbles and WBCL seems to work pretty well. I'll try that for a bit.

What I got doesn't seem to include any medicine. In fact, the ingredients list looks suspiciously similar to what I've seen on some bags of SD.
lol// yes the ingredients read like some
cat foods... Does it look alot like the wbcl??If not you likely got the wrong item. NO it does not clump as well but it clumps and $$ saved ...

here explains
http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRI...s/default.aspx

you got a crumble of crumbles but not the exact product .... no wonder it is not clumping quite right

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stuff I use clumps ok. There's only one instance where it doesn't, when one cat pees then the other comes in shortly after and pees in the exact same spot - usually in a front corner of the box. Even clay litter doesn't clump well when that happens.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The stuff I use clumps ok. There's only one instance where it doesn't, when one cat pees then the other comes in shortly after and pees in the exact same spot - usually in a front corner of the box. Even clay litter doesn't clump well when that happens.
off topic .. but I have that issue too

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What exactly (brand and product name) is it that you use??

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

lol// yes the ingredients read like some
cat foods... Does it look alot like the wbcl??If not you likely got the wrong item. NO it does not clump as well but it clumps and $$ saved ...

here explains
http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRI...s/default.aspx

you got a crumble of crumbles but not the exact product .... no wonder it is not clumping quite right
It looks *exactly* like WBCL.

I'll see if I can find a non-mash type although I can't see how just breaking it into smaller bits would affect the clumping. I would suspect it has more to do what what is added to it. There may be something added to the Lone Star brand that affects the clumping and that isn't in the Purina. The store I went to only had the Lone Star.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used purina , nutrena, local feed store brand and what ever walmart has( that was oh my no litter at 10 pm on a weekend
) the latter clumped really bad and had the finest texture ... the first three did a good job ...