Chicken allergy

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone have any suggestions for wet cat food that is completely chicken free? Also must be pate.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any suggestions for wet cat food that is completely chicken free? Also must be pate.
If you're in US or Canada, Rawz makes the best single protein pates for allergy and IBD food trials. Try the turkey first because it will be the easiest to find when Rawz gets harder to find. Rawz is a small batch manufacturer that occasionally faces shortages. Turkey is least likely to be unavailable. Rabbit will most likely be what solves it all for your cat. But it's also the hardest to keep in stock. If you do end up with rabbit, stock up when you don't need it so you'll have enough to ride out the next shortage. Rawz also makes a duck pate. This may or may not work out for you because it's the only non-chicken/non-fish flavor that adds salmon oil. Salmon oil is the fat. It's okay to use salmon oil if you are avoiding fish protein. But it is added oil and can cause looser stools as adding oil often does.

Where to Buy | RAWZ

Incredible Pets is one of the online resellers. They will sell by the can so you can try the different pates without buying a case of each.
Search: 10 results found for "rawz cat"

Rawz will also send you samples if you write them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're in US or Canada, Rawz makes the best single protein pates for allergy and IBD food trials. Try the turkey first because it will be the easiest to find when Rawz gets harder to find. Rawz is a small batch manufacturer that occasionally faces shortages. Turkey is least likely to be unavailable. Rabbit will most likely be what solves it all for your cat. But it's also the hardest to keep in stock. If you do end up with rabbit, stock up when you don't need it so you'll have enough to ride out the next shortage. Rawz also makes a duck pate. This may or may not work out for you because it's the only non-chicken/non-fish flavor that adds salmon oil. Salmon oil is the fat. It's okay to use salmon oil if you are avoiding fish protein. But it is added oil and can cause looser stools as adding oil often does.

Where to Buy | RAWZ

Incredible Pets is one of the online resellers. They will sell by the can so you can try the different pates without buying a case of each.
Search: 10 results found for "rawz cat"

Rawz will also send you samples if you write them.
That’s what she is on now but doesn’t eat much of it if any flavor.

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is currently on RAWZ but not liking any flavor much.

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try the chart here: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Nature's Variety Instinct Originals is pate. The rabbit, lamb, salmon, and venison varieties are chicken-free. The Nature's Variety LID canned food in rabbbit and turkey are also pate and chicken-free.

Hounds and Gatos is another pate with non-chicken containing varieties: 98% Meat Wet Cat Food
I also look at the recall history. Nature’s variety instinct has been recalled a lot. I’m looking for something without guar gum xathan gum, carrageenan and no agar agar either. Currently using RAWZ but cats not interested. Need pate because cat can’t chew chunks due to malocclusion. Also no chicken either due to chicken allergy. I’m really stuck as far as wet food …. Help!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Nature's Variety recalls has only affected dog food in the past.

Did you try the chart that I linked in my post above? You can filter it to find foods that are chicken and gum free.

Someone posted about this food last week: Muridae Pet - Mouser Pet Food Three chicken-free pates that also do not contain gums / thickeners. Finding a store that sells it may be difficult as it seems like a new brand that is not yet widely available. You can contact customer service for local stores that may sell it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s what she is on now but doesn’t eat much of it if any flavor.
I cannot recommend any canned food better than Rawz.

Perhaps Lotus Raw Cat food. None of their cans pass my discerning ingredient screens. But their raw looks as best as I could do if I did it myself. Closest you'll find to the old Rad Cat recipe that was extremely popular with those cats fortunate enough to enjoy it.

Lotus Pet Foods

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try weruva steak frites. The one food my cat has not thrown up yet

That's textured food and contains gums, neither of which the OP wants. I'm guessing the OP's cat will only eat pate food and has a sensivity to gums and / or the OP does not want to feed gums because of the possible tummy issues they can cause.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't do much to change the texture without pissing off the picky cat. But as far as gums go, guar gum should be pretty harmless. Xanthan gum might cause the runs. But it might not. Depends on the cat. (Or the person. I'm sensitive to xanthan gum. 🤦‍♂️ ) Carrageenan and agar agar should remain on your "avoid" list. These are known to irritate the gut lining. I can't say anything about locust bean gum or cassia gum as these are often included either together or with a boatload of other gums. I have no idea why a food needs more than one gum. If it does, that gum ain't cutting it--use one that works.

Unfortunately, many foods have more issues than the gums they use. So I can't really recommend anything other than Rawz. I think Stella and Chewy's has a pate. Except it has agar agar. 🤦‍♂️

Tiki Cat After Dark makes a pate. But only the beef flavor doesn't have chicken. It has guar gum and cassia gum. I would certainly try it. I'm not certain if my nibbler likes beef. But then she can still eat chicken. So I'd probably try the rabbit with chicken liver with my Betty.
Beef & Beef Liver Paté - Tiki Pets

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Have had much exciting success with pure rabbit lately! My cat finally got bored w/ Farmina’s Pumkpin and Quail but that was also working splendidly.

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's textured food and contains gums, neither of which the OP wants. I'm guessing the OP's cat will only eat pate food and has a sensivity to gums and / or the OP does not want to feed gums because of the possible tummy issues they can cause.
My cat can only eat pate food due to a malocclusion she can’t eat chunks, chicken free due to chicken allergy. I want to avoid gums as she has sensitive stomach

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Gums are used as a thickener in pate so it will be hard finding a gum free commercial cat food unless you go raw. Let me know if you find anything. I have cats with sensitive tummies!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Koha has rabbit, turkey, and duck LID pates (they do have New Zealand green lipped muscles in them though). No chicken or gums.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Agar agar is not as bad as guar gum so if she can eat koha go for it!

Last edited:

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gums are used as a thickener in pate so it will be hard finding a gum free commercial cat food unless you go raw. Let me know if you find anything. I have cats with sensitive tummies!
Have you tried Merrick limited ingredient wet cat food ? I recently introduced the turkey flavor to my IBD/ chicken allergy cat and she loves it. It contains guar gum though. She isn’t bothered by the guar gum at all. She actually doesn’t have diarrhea anymore.

Maddie36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agar agar is not as bad as guar gum so if she can eat koha go for it!
Agar agar is known for upsetting stomach lining. Guar gum is less harmful from what I’ve read.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Agar agar is known for upsetting stomach lining. Guar gum is less harmful from what I’ve read.
The Merrick is high fat low protein. My cat Maggie has been eating weuva steak frites,Peaches wellness core hearty cuts,ff classics,nutro perfect portions. Coco eats what my other cats can't eat.so I have been giving food with gur gum. So it's not exactly accurate when someone says not to feed something when some cats can eat it,some cant

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The Merrick is high fat low protein. My cat Maggie has been eating weuva steak frites,Peaches wellness core hearty cuts,ff classics,nutro perfect portions. Coco eats what my other cats can't eat.so I have been giving food with gur gum. So it's not exactly accurate when someone says not to feed something when some cats can eat it,some cant
I realize rotating the 2 would be a good idea