Chewy Sold Out To Petsmart - No Longer Guarantees Fresh Food.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do auto ship every month and I have noticed my last 2 shipments did not ship on the days I requested. That leads to my orders not getting here in the 1-2 days they advertise.
We'll see if it continues. I've tried to find alternatives to Chewy but other than Amazon I really haven't found one.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try Only Natural Pet, also Tractor Supply, Jet sells cat food, also there are a couple websites Petwishpros and Lambert Vet for vitamins,supplements and meds.
I've actually started shopping back at my local brick 'n mortar stores including grocery stores. They caught on to everybody going online, got smart and have improved the quantity and variety of brands they're carrying (at least, they've gotten better here in Colorado...)

Last edited:

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their customer service on the phone was as caring a personable as the before PetSmart-Chewy, but the reason I had to call customer service (TWICE) was because the shipment was messed up. Our vets waited for their fax to authorize it, and twice it was not sent or received. The new Chewy is not quite the same as the old... They used to be the friendliest most prompt retailer on the planet.

We can hope these are merger pains, and let's keep on top of this.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Chewy orders still come within 2 days. I don't think I would want my litter shipped in the same box as my cat food. But I don't order litter from there since I can get it cheaper at the stores here.
Mine do too. So do my Amazon Prime orders. I have ordered litter from Amazon but never from Chewy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally did see price increases but I also haven't been a long time customer of chewy so maybe the price fluctuations were normal. I was ordering from them when I first started feeding my cat wet food and was getting Pro Plan true nature. It was like $22 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans...now it's $30. I stopped using that food because it's now out of my budget.
I also just wasn't a fan of the way they ship. I understand when you are doing free shipping that you don't want to send things in multiple boxes because it costs the company more but it was pretty ridiculous to me the way they boxed things up. I ordered treats, 2 cases of canned food and a box of litter one time.... they sent it all 1 big box with NO packing materials. Most of the cans of food were dented, the box weighed so freaking much that I couldn't get it in my house by myself, I needed DH to get it off the porch and half the treats were crumbs because they got smashed by the heavier stuff.
I don't order from them anymore. Easier to grab food at the store.
They do over pack the boxes. My last order burst due to the over packing but when I called them and told them I had 12 pounds of food spilling out of the box they immediately shipped out a replacement bag. I imagine that if you had called about the damaged cans and treats they would have worked with you on that too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do overpack, that's true. I've never had the products so damaged that I thought it was worth contacting them over, but the cans do get dinged up sometimes.

Amazon is worse though. With the pet food I swear they just toss everything in from 5 feet away and then throw tape at it :rolleyes2:. Which is funny because some things you get have about 50 cubic feet of air packs around one little non-fragile item, lol. But not pet food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon is worse though. With the pet food I swear they just toss everything in from 5 feet away and then throw tape at it :rolleyes2:. Which is funny because some things you get have about 50 cubic feet of air packs around one little non-fragile item, lol. But not pet food.
I've gotten expired food from Amazon, bags that were old labeling from a formula change six months before; the breaking point for me buying from Amazon was when the manufactures name was misspelled on the bag. Pointing to a likely counterfeit bag of cat food. That was a scary moment and made worse that Amazon claimed it wasn't.

I won't buy anything that I actually care about getting the real version of through Amazon anymore. These days, I just buy books and a few small items here and there from them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still waiting on information from Earthborn. I think they have changed the formula in the Monterrey Medley.

I ordered a case from Chewy about two weeks ago, it looked a bit different, smaller pieces of fish, and more broth than the fluffy gravy it normally has. Looks more like the new food they have in the pouches honestly. I emailed them, and let chewy know. cats would not eat it, and this was one they have always licked the plate clean.

Chewy sent me a replacement case, to see if it would be different. It was not. When i let them know, no problems they refunded for it right away. They also had me send them the information i sent Earthborn, they said they would try to follow up with Earthborn as well. Great customer service! Im still hopeful that Earthborn will let me know what is up with the food. If just a formula change then i can donate the two cases to the shelter.