chewing on wood?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
first I noticed Matt chewing on pencils, then other things....always wood. Is this normal cat behavior, or another odd dog-like quirk he has? should I offer him a small bone or something to work his teeth on? We once offered him a dentabone when we were going to give them to the dogs, but the sniffed and walked off lol. I do brush his teeth, and I know he'll need a cleaning at some point, but the vet didn't have any concerns at his last check-up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
  well he already seems to think he's a dog half the time, so it wouldn't surprise me 

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe give him a pot of wheat grass to chew on?

One of my cats chews on plastic film if he wants grass and there is none available.  I've seen other cats chew on all kinds of things - one got a surprise when he chewed on the bottom of a sealed 3-litre of soda - managed to pierce it and it decompressed at him!  I have a friend whose cat used to chew on wood / furniture a lot, until they got rawhide for dogs and soaked it in canned cat food juice (then let it dry) - cat-food-flavored rawhide, apparently the cat loves it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmm...I wonder if that would help his teeth? I had thought about getting him a dentabone and see if he'd chew on that....