Checks vs credit/debit cards

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Germany abolished personal checks five years ago, when it switched to the euro, so you basically have to use a credit or debit card, or pay cash, in stores. Other payments are made by credit transfer or direct debit mandate.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check out people all day long at my current crummy job. I used to think that checks would just fade away over time...but lately i'm thinking otherwise! You'd be suprised how many checks we have comming in and out everyday. I sure hate having to wait for people to write them out though...cards are much easier to use...but i definitely don't see checks going away anytime soon. For me personally though- I don't have checks or a debit card. If I don't have cash- i don't get it. I do have a credit card for emergencies....and if i need to write a check, I use one of Colin's and give him the cash in its place.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use my debit card or online banking for almost everything. I write one check per month, for my rent and two checks per year, for my dogs' licenses.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use plastic...then pay everything on line. I am much more organized and find i dont spend as much. My mom not so good with that *

I have a debit card for her which i use...so i can shop for her when she is at home. I pay her bills online too...which i think scares her .....she uses her paper checks ...

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I very rarely use cheques - I pay my bills by direct debit or standing order and everything else by cash or debit card. The only time I usually use a cheque is if I'm sending money to someone. I did use one a couple of months ago as I wasn't sure my salary had gone into my bank account and was hoping a cheque would take more time to clear than using my debit card, but the checkout assistant didn't know how to do it and had to call the manager to ask. It was all very embarrassing and took ages - never again! I could see people looking at me as though I was from the stone age and wondering why I was writing a cheque.