Checking glucose without lancet device?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted this to feline diabetes as well.
My foster diabetic isnt eating well today. I'm using a family members spare stuff to check his blood (btw the device and such are brand new so theres no sharing) but i think the lancets are not for the lancet device we have, it doesnt fit. device is one touch delica and lancets are one touch ultra soft. I am wondering if there's another way to draw blood?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just freehand the lancet without the device. Some people find it easier that way. Just hold the lancet between your fingers and give a quick poke at the edge of the ear. Hold the "rice sock" or whatever you are using to warm the ear underneath so you don't accidentally poke the hand hold the ear taut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What if the lancet goes through the ear? the ear is so thin. Completely new to this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What if the lancet goes through the ear? the ear is so thin. Completely new to this.

It happens and nothing to worry about :) The ear will heal just fine. Give the ear a firm poke. Not a prick that won't even scratch the surface of the ear. You need to poke deep enough to get blood.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a nurse and can tell you this is really scary until you do it a few times and get used to it. Just plow ahead and you'll be comfortable with it in no time. It just takes time and practice. Being firm and giving a good poke is hard, but remember it beats having to do it over and over! I can give injections and take blood samples easily on everyone else, but on me or my own cat I still hesitate and shake!

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried the paw and he freaked. Someone came to do it for me on his ear. He read 349. He has a telemedicine today

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
349 could be due to the stress of having the paw poked with the lancet and a stranger doing it on the ear. Can you get the lancet device to use with your lancets or vice versa? They're not expensive.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt know which to get. I thought the lancets I had went the the device since they are both the same brand.
Appetite still not 100% back. Has a in person appt on Thursday

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like the One Touch Ultra lancet device has been discontinued but the lancets are still available.

The lancet device and lancets do not have to be the same brand as the blood glucose meter. All the lancet device does is use the lancet to prick the skin to get blood for the meter to test. You can go to any pharmacy and buy any lancet device and matching lancets.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, Shebaa. I have a newly diagnosed diabetic cat. These are what I use, purchased on Amazon. They have been a total gamechanger for me:
1629177215180.png

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally did it! I did his ear this time. wrapped him, had a person help hold him down. He hardly moved. I guess the ear is less painful than paw. Bad news, reading was at 470. only had half his daily calories. So i still gave insulin. i now this is getting off topic of what this thread was originally about. After refusing dinner. I tried FF kitten turkey. Based on catdbfood site it has less than 5% carbs. Hopefully thats accurate and me feeding him that didnt cause his high numbers. I only did allow half a can. Didnt want to feed him more that wasnt diabetic food since the shelters clinic said no to me on feeding him FF

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, Shebaa. I have a newly diagnosed diabetic cat. These are what I use, purchased on Amazon. They have been a total gamechanger for me:
Now that I finally did it on the ear freehand. it was actually pretty easy. I just had a fear of poking him on a such thin area.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally did it! I did his ear this time. wrapped him, had a person help hold him down. He hardly moved. I guess the ear is less painful than paw. Bad news, reading was at 470. only had half his daily calories. So i still gave insulin. i now this is getting off topic of what this thread was originally about. After refusing dinner. I tried FF kitten turkey. Based on catdbfood site it has less than 5% carbs. Hopefully thats accurate and me feeding him that didnt cause his high numbers. I only did allow half a can. Didnt want to feed him more that wasnt diabetic food since the shelters clinic said no to me on feeding him FF
The FF Kitten Tender Turkey is absolutely fine! That food definitely did not cause his high numbers, your instincts are great. His numbers could be all over the place right now. Make sure you have some Karo syrup and honey in case his numbers plunge and you need to rub some on his gums and inner cheeks to bring his numbers back up. With a BG reading of 470, I seriously doubt that’s a problem tonight, but always test before feeding, feed before giving insulin, test/feed/shoot. Make sure he ate most of his food before shooting, you’ll do fine,

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Karo is not the same as pancake syrup? I do have a higher carb friskies canned I keep in case of an emergency for him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karo is not the same as pancake syrup? I do have a higher carb friskies canned I keep in case of an emergency for him.
No, Karo is a brand of just corn syrup. Pancake syrup contains corn syrup along with other stuff. Either can be used to quickly raise blood glucose levels but the effect doesn't last very long. High carb gravy based canned food, even any junky dry food, works better to stabilize glucose levels during a minor hypoglycemic episode.

Great that you were able to freehand the lancet 👍 Are you warming the ear? That helps get the blood flowing more easily.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can warm the ear with a little rice in a sock warmed in the microwave (heats quickly, so be careful), a small prescription bottle filled with warm water, or massage his ears with your fingers. I do the latter, but every cat is different. I’ve also tested wothour warming the ear and had to sort of massage the ear vein upwards a bit below the poke, sort of milking the vein. You don’t want to poke the vein itself, but the capillaries along the edge. As he becomes accustomed to the testing, his ears will actually grow additional capillaries and you can get a blood drop more easily. My Karo label says “Karo Dark Corn Syrup.” You’re doing great! You should check out felinediabetes.com and go to the Message Board - tons of information.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe my friskies can is chicken shreds gravy. I also foster kittens so im sure i can always feed him the dry if it came down to it. I forgot to warm up ear last night. had to poke twice when 1st poke no blood came out. i remembered for this mornings poke. was still high at 465. hes at clinic now. waiting to hear back.