Cheaper hyperthyroidism cat food options

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,
Are there any cheaper alternatives to your cat’s hyperthyroidism diet? The hill brand seems great but I don’t know if I can afford it.
I am up for any suggestions on low iodine diets for my cat.
Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Neely's right :)

We didn't want to put our angel Poppycat through being away from us for the length of time required for the radioactive treatment since he became super stressed out with short-term car rides, vets, strangers, you name it plus was a finicky eater already, et al ... (--never mind the expense of the treatment). Additionally his liver was already compromised so we couldn't do the methimazole.

I started out with the Hills Y/D but then they ran into manufacturing problems and couldn't get it on the shelves. I used Weruva, which while having brands and varieties that are low in phosphorus, also make sure that most if not all their foods are literally as low in iodine as the AAFCO allows. Most all other brands are not only higher, but a lot higher.

Keep checking and researching however - this was early to mid 2022 and cat food manufacturers are changing things all the time - sometimes for the good. Evanger's and Dave's are two brands that also have low phos varieties, and they may have low iodine varieties as well. You will likely have to contact them directly--iodine isn't mentioned much in the nutritional breakdowns, even on cat food websites that are trying to be transparent.

You probably know this already, but keep a log of your cats' weight and double-check the various food's calorie count so that you are feeding as much as necessary.

All the best of luck to you and your cat :vibes: :redheartpump::crossfingers::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am going to research those companies 😁