Cheap Things You've Done When Broke

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two words: Muffin Pizza

A trip to the dollar store for a package of stale english muffins, a jar of pasta sauce and some shaker parmesan cheese. $3 to eat for a week.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Two words: Muffin Pizza

A trip to the dollar store for a package of stale english muffins, a jar of pasta sauce and some shaker parmesan cheese. $3 to eat for a week.
We had something like this. White bread slices, ketchup and that free cheese they used to give out to people who stood in line. Yummy! Of course, I loved anything if there was enough ketchup on it

In many of the places we lived, we often heated with the cookstove whether it was gas or electric. Just turned it on and left the door open to heat part of the house. Had to create outrageous electric bills.

We kept warm by sleeping in with multiple people in the bed. I love my sister to pieces but she was awful to sleep with. One of those people who kick and poke in their sleep. My brothers were better as long as they didn't pee the bed .... ewwwww. But, we kept warm and we're all still here

My mom often went to places that could help out, clothes closets, free food lines and other places that gave away food. I hated the clothes from the clothes closets because I so wanted to wear cool clothes like the other kids. No one ever gave away anything "cool" in my size

Any of you wear socks for mittens and bread bags over your shoes in the snow?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lets see...

I was in ROTC while I was in college and that helped a lot. They gave me a sleeping bag to sleep in, and whenever we went on field training exercises they gave us 2-3 extra MRE's that we wouldn't use. 1 MRE had enough food for a day.

I asked my more fortunate friends who had college meal plans to steal boxes of cereal or bagels for me from the cafeteria.

We had millions of mulberry trees on campus, so when summer came I was competing with squirrels and birds for mulberries.

During the long holidays (thanksgiving, x'mas) they freakin' kicked us out of our dorms and locked all the buildings, and the whole town basically shut down. I didn't have a car and couldn't afford a plane ticket home, so I basically camped out in the woods for a week living off the MRE's I accumulated and taking showers at the YMCA (had to pay like $5 or something). I swear I thought I was going to freeze to death and be found by some jogger in the spring.