Cheap Cat Tree?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh using a mat of some kind is a good idea! Let us know how it works.

My cats won't use sisal rope. Such sisal snobs, they are!
I have two scratchers from Wade's cat trees, and they love the sisal fabric on them.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats won't use sisal rope.
Only one of my four would ever use sisal rope.  It is really rough on the paws.  Now that we have sisal weave even that one doesn't use the rope.  They all like the weave. 

I saved this thread.  There are some great links and ideas.

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting.  My cats have carpet and sisal scratchers and they definitely prefer the sisal.  They like the carpeted part for snuggling, but for sure they prefer the sisal poles for scratching.  

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats prefer sisal too. But not sisal rope, only the sisal fabric.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding weight to the bottom is an excellent way of making a cat tree more stable.  I have two cat condos, and put weights (the kind you lift to strengthen muscles) in the bottom opening.

Regarding window perches:  I moved from an apartment that have a great high window sill; Ritz loved to jump up and gaze outside for hours.

In my new townhouse, no such window sills.  Instead, I put a pieces of furniture approximately the same height  as the window in front of the window  (a cedar chest in this instance; a trunk or 'coffee table would work well).

Regarding shelves on walls:  be careful that there are no other items on the wall that you wouldn't want kitty to get to, i.e., dried flower arrangements, printer boxes filled with minatures.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, the sisal weave (or fabric) is different than the carpeted surfaces.  This post has sisal weave...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...D=525357944&catargetid=1570183146&cagpspn=pla

And it looks like a different textured sisal weave on the wall hanging in the link upthread.  The sisal weave was a great find for us because one of my cats just couldn't find a scratcher he liked (besides the couch) until we found it.  Like I said, only one would use sisal rope and the others liked cardboard.  Now they all love the sisal weave.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a nice post and not too expensive!

And it's true that not all sisal fabrics (or weaves, depending on which term you use) are created equal. In fact even by the same maker. My first Wade scratcher (bought 3 years ago) has a much higher quality sisal fabric than the one I bought in this past December. I don't know if it is because it is a different model, or if he started using a cheaper weave.

That picture in the link you posted, you can actually see the shreds of sisal sticking out. But that really isn't a problem as long as you don't have a cat who wants to eat them. :)