Chattering Cat

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I should say this is my first cat so I have alot to learn. Before I ask my question I should give you a little bit of history about her. Our cat Bianca adopted us on our farm in last early October,as she was a orphan after her mother passed and we found her in one of our barns. We were lucky to find her as she was still nursing, we believed she was 3 months old at the time. I guess you could call her a spoiled child as my husband and I do not have any children currently and buy her to her hearts content of toys. My main question is she has never meowed, she is very talkative and always makes her presence known even when she jumps she makes a feminine "uhh"  sound. The best way I can describe he sounds is like a raccoon. Is it that she does not meow because she was not socialized with other kittens or cats? My husband have tried to "simulate a "mother cat" as best as possible after feeding her (as silly as it sounds). That we she knew to groom herself since she is a medium/long hair calico by bathing her and drying her.

Sorry if I have given to much info on her, but I love talking about her, I have been around cats  before but never owned one until now. She even loves to play fetch with straws.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many times, feral moms teach their kittens not to meow, so it's likely she might've learned that from her mom, especially if she was 3 mos old when you adopted her. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

Many times, feral moms teach their kittens not to meow, so it's likely she might've learned that from her mom, especially if she was 3 mos old when you adopted her. 
 Our Wendel came out of a feral colony and he very rarely meows (only when he's in his carrier). He makes a funny, grunting sound for attention, but that's it.

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jake was rescued off the street at about 3-4 months old.  he very, very rarely meowed when he first came to us, but he was around three other very vocal cats.  he still saves his meow for important time (in the carrier, where's my food, put me down) and is nowhere near as vocal as my other cats.  but he chatters a lot when he sees birds outside, and whines.  like a child.  or like me lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your help, she sounds like a kinda like a dove right now. I never knew that feral cats taught their kittens that.

jake was rescued off the street at about 3-4 months old.  he very, very rarely meowed when he first came to us, but he was around three other very vocal cats.  he still saves his meow for important time (in the carrier, where's my food, put me down) and is nowhere near as vocal as my other cats.  but he chatters a lot when he sees birds outside, and whines.  like a child.  or like me lol
 She wines too, you put it in the perfect words, "wines like a child", when I come home from work she wines like we have abandoned her. She runs up and down the stairs and runs to us to make sure we are going to lay in bed with her.