Chase update.. suggestions? (recurring UTIs)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitty has interstitial cystitis, highly acidified cat foods and extra urinary acidifiers can irritate the bladder lining more. Just want to make sure you are aware of that possibility. The Cosequin is supposed to help heal the lining of the bladder so it has that protective layer it should have.

You should talk to your vet about the possibility that it is IC and what your options are.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

If your kitty has interstitial cystitis, highly acidified cat foods and extra urinary acidifiers can irritate the bladder lining more. Just want to make sure you are aware of that possibility. The Cosequin is supposed to help heal the lining of the bladder so it has that protective layer it should have.
You're right. I check my bottle and it says not for cats diagnosed with crystals. My kitty never had Crystals; her UTI's were cause from Bacteria entering the urethra. Sorry I should've have been more observant! Duh...

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work with 5 Vets... If a cat came in with the problems your baby has, I can tell you right now that everyone of them would ...

1) Culture the urine
2) put your kitty on cosequin

We have had several cats (and dogs) who came in with reoccuring UTI's. Turns out they had an antibiotic resistant bacteria. One of the cats actually had E.coli that had to be treated with an antibiotic that can cause kidney problems. Fortunately, the kitty did just fine. A rountine urinalysis can't tell you what kind of bacteria it is or what it is resistant to. The kitty with the E.coli actually had similair symptoms as what your describing. We would put him on antibiotics, the UTI would clear up (or so we thought) for about 1-2 months (sometimes longer), and then he would be right back in.

I have no idea why your vet wouldn't put your cat on cosequin. Even if it doesn't work for your kitty, its not going to hurt anything...

I would find a differant vet.... and if the UTI comes back, I would have a culture done...

Good luck to you and your baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
G

ghostuser

Thanks for all the well-wishes for Chasey boy.

Our vet (all 4 at the clinic actually) just plain doesn't believe in the Cosequin for cystitis, doesn't think it does anything. I am trying to find another vet. It's just tough, it's like they all come from the same mold around here (and quite a few are under the same ownership.. which probably further explains why so many share the same ideas).

She claims they never find bacteria in his urine.. but I will have that looked into further if it happens again.

He's been on several different foods over the time he's been having these.. depending basically on what he would eat at the time. For awhile it was primarily Nutro Max cans, then Evanger's, then Wellness Grain-Free, and now back to Nutro Max. You don't think the DL-methionine in those could be further irritating it, do you?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it could be but since it is a amino acid I doubt it ... will he eat natural choice??? it is still UTI health friendly but not as geared as max thus the ph is a bit different...

Petsmart is now caring cosiquin in store ...

G

ghostuser

Really, Petsmart is carrying it? I didn't see it in the cat section last time I was there, but I'll definitely check.

He will only eat "softer" loaf type cans generally.. last I tried the natural choice cans they were too hard for him, and he didn't seem all that interested in the first place. Mixing in some water tends to make him turn up his nose even at stuff he'd normally eat, so that didn't make a difference. It's so hard to keep on top of what he will eat..

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I maybe a little confused....

They never find bacteria but they tell you he has a UTI and want to put him on antibiotics once a week, every month...

IF I am uderstanding this correctly.... That makes no sense... To have a UTI you have to have an infection. Infection = bacteria.... If there is no bacteria... whats the point of putting him on antibiotics? If I am uderstanding you right... I would certainly find a differant vet. This one doesn't sound so bright....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

I maybe a little confused....

They never find bacteria but they tell you he has a UTI and want to put him on antibiotics once a week, every month...

IF I am uderstanding this correctly.... That makes no sense... To have a UTI you have to have an infection. Infection = bacteria.... If there is no bacteria... whats the point of putting him on antibiotics? If I am uderstanding you right... I would certainly find a differant vet. This one doesn't sound so bright....
I agree with attempting a new vet... but many infections are viral ...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is an inflamatory problem, the antibiotics may be helping if they have the side effect of reducing inflamation. Some do. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. I am going through a similar thing with Bird (no bacteria, no cancer, no stones or crystals, just blood), and just got off a month of Pentosan Polysulfate and so far so good...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

If it is an inflamatory problem, the antibiotics may be helping if they have the side effect of reducing inflamation. Some do. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. I am going through a similar thing with Bird (no bacteria, no cancer, no stones or crystals, just blood), and just got off a month of Pentosan Polysulfate and so far so good...
very good pt ...

my vet occationally gives antibiotics if she suspects virus since a bacterial infection is often a secondary one...

G

ghostuser

They are rather confusing. All I know if she said there hadn't been bacteria with any of his recent ones, but they didn't do a culture, so I'm not even sure they can know that for sure? I know his white count was high when he last had bloodwork done while having the symptoms.. The antibiotics always do help him, which is why they give them, and want to keep giving them.

But yes.. I am trying to find a new vet.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also saw Cosequin at Petco recently. When Raven was on it I just ordered it online for the best price I could find. You don't need a Rx from a vet to buy it.

Just to add to the possibilities, I've even heard of cats having fungal infections in their bladder. I agree a new vet is definitely a must. Poor kitty. I hope he feels better soon.

When Raven was having IC problems we switched to a less acidified food (went from Hill's c/d dry to Sensible Choice dry). I think that was also when we switched from urinary health formulated canned foods to Fancy Feast and other less acidified foods.

G

ghostuser

His symptoms.. starting out it's just not eating. Before I began to see this and know what it was right away, it would go from not eating much to looking like he was in pain and being lethargic (though that part could very well have stemmed from dehydration when he was off his food). Generally there are no litterbox issues at all, I've only caught him going outside of the box once. The tests always show blood in the urine, and then after the round of antibiotics, that clears up. I have the results from his first one ever somewhere.. the rest I don't have a printout of.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

His symptoms.. starting out it's just not eating. Before I began to see this and know what it was right away, it would go from not eating much to looking like he was in pain and being lethargic (though that part could very well have stemmed from dehydration when he was off his food). Generally there are no litterbox issues at all, I've only caught him going outside of the box once. The tests always show blood in the urine, and then after the round of antibiotics, that clears up. I have the results from his first one ever somewhere.. the rest I don't have a printout of.
have they checked his BUN and Creatine??? I ask since Kandies UTIs were in part aided by her CRF

G

ghostuser

They did a full senior panel, so I assume so. He's had several bloodtests since all of this started, and they usually tell me everything looks great for his age. The last one he was borderline anemic I believe.. but that improved when he started eating well again.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I wish I could be of more help but I dont even know if that sounds like a UTI besides the blook in urine! Im at a loss!