Charlie..

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I registered as MajesticFloof here a few days go...seems I haven't signed in here since about 2011 and missed the fun. Not sure if anyone remembers as I talked about Charlie all the time. I think had I been here it would have helped me alot.

He was adopted in 1999 at 4 months old, a ball of pure white fluff and pink beans. He was an outdoor kitty until the ripe old age of 8. We moved house and had many more wonderful years with him.

Unfortunately his light fur and pink parts he may have had too much fun in the sun in his outdoor days. He had a freckle removed from the nose, and a biopsy on both ear tips, but, they were negative! A couple of years ago he had a mini stroke, I was seeing it happen on my bed. Thankfully it was a short recovery, the movement in his front leg went back to normal, and he returned to his almost normal self Then a lump appeared at one ear biopsy site. It was confirmed cancer. We had his ear tip removed. He spent ages in a bucket, being hand fed every meal. He was on meds for blood pressure and we changed diet for the kidneys. The site healed well. And just as the stitches came out, and the healing was almost complete, and we were free of the bucket, another lump appeared right along the scar line. The vet said we could remove the entire ear...do a test on it...but if the caner had spread further it would be very invasive and hard to find if it was anywhere else in his body. They'd have investigate from top to bottom as it could have been anywhere, and possibly cut him open, and this was at the age of 17. We didn't want more surgeries, more risk of being under. We decided to manage any discomfort, keep loving and feeding him.

Unfortunately he was also losing weight even with increased feeding. He was lethargic. He had feline dementia. He would stop and forget what he was doing and bump into walls. They said maybe another 6 months he'd be at his worst, skin and bones. We had no choice now but to keep the bucket on him 24/7. The lump was was getting bigger, it started turning black and other parts raw. It got to a point where even shaking his head would cause a bleed from the cancer, and we thought the bucket would protect his ear from bumps without it, but with it on was just as horrific. We were constantly keeping the site clean, it couldn't be bandaged. We were so desperate. A Friday, coming home to give him cuddles, shook his head again..I didn't even see it touch the plastic this time and it just opened up again. We'd to spend the weekend thinking about what to do. Monday he was barely moving and we knew it was time. So, I said goodbye (How do you actually do that?) and they took him. They said he was pretty much asleep, not moving, he didn't fuss or notice the needle. I suppose it's better than yowling in pain and being frightened. I don't think I could have been in the room. He passed 28/08/2016 at 17.5 years of age.

I've been around cats my entire life, never been without. We've also lost many. But we spent 12 months without any fuzzy family members because it was so awful compared to past experiences. Of all our cats, I decided to have him cremated. It hurt to leave his sis behind at the last house....and many at my childhood home, I didn't want to leave him behind.

We did adopt Violet last September on mum's birthday....I would like to think Charlie would have just ignored her crazyness and acted like the regal old man he was if they had met. I shouldn't feel guilty but I still sometimes do.

R.i.p my handsome boy.

428ab826_cat_303_reg.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I feel the pain in your post, but I also feel the love pouring form the tribute you so lovingly write. I, too, have a white cat with 'freckles' and bad ear tips, it hits too close to home.
You gave that sweet boy 17.5 years of love and care. That is all he ever wanted in life, and you somehow found the strength through your love to end the pain when he told you it was time, when living turned in to existing. He would never want you to be so sad on his leaving. He loves you too much for that. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, look forward to the future and fill it with happiness and sunshine. Keep his cherished memory, use it to bring comfort to your soul, but allow 17.5 years of happy memories to override those last months of sadness, to remember him as he was when he was happy and brought so much into your life. He would want it that way, for the ones he loves above all else. That is so because love is spiritual, neverending, not bound to this earth and subject to physical laws, like the frail bodies we all now inhabit. Those bodies eventually return to the earth, but love lives on forever, as long as we draw breathe, as long as we live. So know that little boy walked along beside you for a while on your life's journey, and now he walks beside you on a different path, but still so near. His tiny soul will be forever tied to your own, and will one day cross your path once more at the end of your own journey.
We only have the present. We are never guaranteed a tomorrow and the past cannot be changed. So celebrate knowing that sweet boy, for having him in your life for a little while. To have never known him at all would be unthinkable. So even though the pain of our loss is equal to the love we have for them, we are so much richer for knowing and loving them. Think of him often and know he is dreaming of you, he took a piece of your heart with him for comfort, and left behind a piece of his for you.
My heart goes out to you, I know your pain and how much it hurts. Do something good in Charlie's name, it helps to make you feel a little better about yourself. Donate to your local shelter or pay for the adoption of a cat that has been there overlong. Make it a yearly event, and know Charlie approves and sends his love.Take care........kiss Violet for me, she is your present, make sure she is receiving and making pleasant memories for your future, it is as we make it.......RIP precious Charlie. you will never be forgotten and will forever be held securely in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like di and bob di and bob said, the pain can be felt between the lines of your post. It's clear to everybody how much you loved Charlie.
You gave him a lifetime fo love and joy, of constant presence, I think he couldn't have asked for more.
And when it was time for Charlie to say good-bye you were with him, you didn't fail him.

You shouldn't feel guilty for adopting another kitten, you did it in Charlie's name and I'm sure he's happy, and he blessed you for giving another kitty a safe place where to grow and live in peace.

RIP Charlie, you will be missed!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is almost unfair that one cat had to endure all that suffering and hardship, but he is just fine now, no more pain, very healthy and you will see him again one day. He loved his life with you I am sure.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry for your pain and the loss of Charlie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies. I think had I still been on TCS back then I would have dealt with it alot better. Everyone was so supportive when we lost Jasmine some 10 yrs ago. Idk I just feel like...we wanted him around as long as possible. Obviously any longer was cruel..but then I wonder if we should have intervened earlier than we did. But he kind of got sick fast you know? The kidney issues were under control with food and meds...we really thought once the ear surgery cleared up that we would have longer, how the hell did the lump just grow back quicker and so aggressive after we tried helping him, removing that ear tip and the vet saying they got it??? So many things still bother me =(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been told that sometimes, removing a cancer triggers a new growth to be more aggressive,
Sometimes vets prefer not to touch anything, but some other times it necessary to do so.
One of my cats had three different cancers, two of them were almost growing together, the vets only saw one, the other cancer killed my poor kitty.
As you can see, it's not your fault, Charlie's book of life was at its last page, and none of us could have known that.