Charlie ran away

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie and I was going to vet yesterday for follow up check ups. I don't have a carrier so just like what I did on his first visit, I put him in a picnic basket. I put wire on both ends so he wouldn't open it up. He was freaking out inside, then suddenly he opened it and ran away! It happened for about 10-15 houses away from our house. Children chased him, they were thinking that they were helping but they're not, they scared Charlie, they chased away my cat! I said stop! But they didn't stop.

Charlie's direction was going to our house, but he did not used the road, he made his way through our neighbor's houses. I decided to go back to our house thinking that Charlie is already there, but there was no Charlie. I called the vet and she said that he will come back, just wait for 15 minutes and now it is already about 14 hours ago since that tragedy happened. There's still no Charlie, I kept on calling him hoping that he would respond with "meow", but there is none.

I always go back to that place and ask the people there if they saw Charlie, they will say no, Charlie didn't show up.

Charlie is an indoor cat, before, he would only go outside if he wants to visit his girlfriend, other than that, he usually sitting in front of our gate and stare outside. I'm really worried that he is not eating, he doesn't know how to hunt for food and water! It's already 20 hrs since the last I fed him. Plus he really needs to go to vet!

Will Charlie find his way home?
Will I able to see Charlie again?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You cannot just sit and wait. An indoor only cat may not make their way back home. Outside is TERRIFYING.

Put his litter box outside - even better if it hasn't been scooped yet. The scent will help direct him home. But you have to go look for him.

He will most like not have gone further away, but will likely be within the radius of the area he got out.

PLEASE read this article and follow its directions on what to do.

http://www.lost-pets.org/content/view/3/1/

you'll find him!

madcat2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be so worried!! I know it's been 16 hours and that seems like an eternity, but to give some hope to the situation based on your points. Here are the good points I can think of.

1) Charlie is not a pure indoor cat, he has some "street sense" and has learned to navigate around outside at least in his past. A pure indoor cat that has never EVER been outside AT ALL would have a lot of problems finding his/her way back home. That's what I think anyway, based on logic/common sense.

2) It's only been 16 hours. Cats that are scared will often wait, sometimes even days. I've heard of a lot of people losing their cats, only for the cat to come out of hiding and go home many days after.

3) It's nearby thank god!!!

I hope he will come home soon, just wait. Keep trying to call him, as often as you can, let him know you're still there.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How horrified I am to see this, but don't despair! I was going to mention the litter box too.

Put some used litter on both sides of the house there are doors to help him smell his way home.

Often indoor cats are very close, but seeing you out of context is terrifying.

In the evening, sit out there, talk softly, use his name, read aloud.

if you see him resist the urge to jump up and grab. Let him come to you.

Maybe keep a favorite bed or blankie next to you, too.

Put up signs everywhere, talk to the children about NOT chasing Charlie if they see him. Offer them a small reward to come and tell you if they have seen him.

Alert vets and shelters in the area that Charlie may be brought in.

Ask your local radio station to make a public service announcement.

I am praying for Charlie's safe return.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank God! Charlie showed up a few minutes ago and he was craving. I picked him up and his heart beat was really fast

He used the window at the back of the house to get inside. I feed him and he ate a few. He stayed for about 10 minutes and now he was gone again. At least it is such a relief that he showed up, he is safe. Maybe he is still terrified of what happened.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Thank God! But wait. What do you mean he's gone again? You let him back outside after he came home? I don't understand.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know where did he go, maybe he is on the backyard, he usually do his thing at the backyard, and the back window is always open I'm calling him but he is not responding

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I checked the storage room, and he is there, sitting on the boxes....

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, do close it and keep him in. You don't want to encourage him to roam outside. Those kids will chase him again, if they see him, it's just not safe!

And...please do buy a proper secure carrier now.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright!

Yes, I will buy a carrier, I will postpone the vet visit and reschedule it, it really scared me a lot I was just feel like crying. I don't want to lose my Charlie, I'd rather see him die than thinking of what is happening to him, like hunting foods, injuries and fights with other cats

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad this story had a happy ending. As stated previously, buy your cat a pet carrier, close your window and make sure there are no ways for your cat to get outside. You and your cat might now be so lucky next time. Outside is big country to a cat who has been an inside cat.

madcat2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mysterycat, I'm so glad you found Charlie, I knew it would be ok

Re: the cat carrier. If you don't want to buy one, you can always ask your vet if they have one you can borrow to bring Charlie to the vets with. It's not an ideal method, but it's still an option.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you to those who spent their time reading and replying in this thread. It really helped.

Yes we are really lucky and I'm happy that Charlie's attitude is back to normal, he is now playing with my dog.

You know even my dog "Tisay" was worried, she didn't eat her meal that I gave, but when Charlie arrived home, after an hour she ate it!

And for my Charlie he was really starving and he wanted me to be beside him while he was eating, I can tell because I left him two times in the kitchen and he was following me and he said "meow" so I watch him eating and he finished all of his food!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While you're out buying a carrier for him, pick up a litter box or 2 and some litter. Then, make him an indoor-only kitty so you don't have to worry about him going missing.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadCat2k

Mysterycat, I'm so glad you found Charlie, I knew it would be ok

Re: the cat carrier. If you don't want to buy one, you can always ask your vet if they have one you can borrow to bring Charlie to the vets with. It's not an ideal method, but it's still an option.
another 'emergency' carrier is a pillowcase. after inserting the cat, tie the end closed. then carry the cat with support, like you would if he were not in the case.
it's not great, but i've used it in a pinch.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

While you're out buying a carrier for him, pick up a litter box or 2 and some litter. Then, make him an indoor-only kitty so you don't have to worry about him going missing.
This is spot-on advice. I wholeheartedly agree.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Charlie already is an indoor only kitty, that's why she was so horrified that he got away!

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

another 'emergency' carrier is a pillowcase. after inserting the cat, tie the end closed. then carry the cat with support, like you would if he were not in the case.
it's not great, but i've used it in a pinch.
I think it's dangerous, you might get scratches from your cat

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I think Charlie already is an indoor only kitty, that's why she was so horrified that he got away!
Actually, no. At least that's not how I read it. Charlie goes outside when he wants to see his "girlfriend," and I think it was also said that he goes outside to do his business, going through the window that is always left open for him.

So, yes. I agree with the person who said to make him an indoor-only kitty. For sure!