Chapped lips?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I have had dry lips before, but never had the cracked and peeling corners of my lips or the edges of my lips cracking and peeling. The actual lip surfaces are fine.
That's awful. Is your skin sensitive to things, too - any lotions, detergents, makeup type issues?
I wonder if there's a common ingredient that you can't tolerate.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've never really had any problems like that before - that is what confuses me so much.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's awful. Is your skin sensitive to things, too - any lotions, detergents, makeup type issues?
I wonder if there's a common ingredient that you can't tolerate.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Aquafina chap stick. Im horrible about remembering to use it till I start feeling my lips dry out. I have about 2 million tubes of diff chap stick laying around the house in all my diff hiding spots from the cats. But so far the Aquafina and Chapstick lip moisturizer are my favorites. I also like the Neutrogena lip gel it makes a nice insulating coat of gel on your lips and lasts a long time. The only thing is if you lick your lips alot it tastes like a crayon...Not the most yummying of tastes

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some lip issues in February, dr. told me to use hydrocortisone, it didn't help and things got lots worse, then I went to the dermatologist and she said be very careful with any steroid creams on lips because they can cause thinning of the skin and lips are thin skin to begin with. In fact she told me to stop using it altogether, and gave me something else that cleared the resulting infection up. So easy on the hydrocortisone!!

Anyway, I use lipbalm all the time, I'm not addicted to it, I just need it!
(i do get funny if I'm stuck somewhere and for some reason I don't have lip stuff with me) You might want to try something medicated like Blistex if your lips are really bad. Good luck!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

I had some lip issues in February, dr. told me to use hydrocortisone, it didn't help and things got lots worse, then I went to the dermatologist and she said be very careful with any steroid creams on lips because they can cause thinning of the skin and lips are thin skin to begin with. In fact she told me to stop using it altogether, and gave me something else that cleared the resulting infection up. So easy on the hydrocortisone!!
that's what I was going to say. Be very sparing if you're using hydrocortisone on or around your lips.
Welderwoman, I hope you get an answer soon because that sounds very painful!

I just did a quick count and discovered over 15 lip balms, and that's just on my nightstand!! I haven't counted all the ones in various pockets and bags....I never leave home without a lipbalm. My recent faves are Kiss My Face for kids - all natural and yummy flavours. Also Burt Bees pomegranate is good.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told not to use Carmex if one has chapped lips as it will only make them worse??

Anyhow I got a pimple (yes at age 52) where the middle of my upper lip meets my lip!!

I must have licked that spot about 2 million times this week and now my lips are super chapped.

I have an herbal salve (and a lip balm) though that I started using today made by a Wisconsin herbalist which contain olive oil and beeswax plus organic herbs. The salve I've used for many years on many cuts on my skin so I'm hoping it will work on my lips!!

Plus I know I'm a bit dehydrated so I've increased my fluid consumption!