Changing paint colour in the lounge... Decisions!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So currently two walls of my lounge are a fairly dark grey. I painted them quite quickly when I first moved in 4.5 years ago as I wanted the painting done before the white laminate floor was laid. Looking a bit tired now... The other two walls are a pale white silvery grey blue.

Looking for a change to a nice deep dramatic blue. Got a bunch of paint tester pots today and have painted some squares. One set is on the wall opposite the windows, and the other is on the short wall behind the TV.

The one I thought I'd like best from looking online is actually quite a bit lighter than I expected and really green tinged (1).

I think I'm going to go for the square marked 2 in the picture - just need to see what it looks like in daylight.

It's a lot darker than the current grey though. Got to do something now at any rate as there are big blue squares on two walls!! 🤣

Anyone else got something similar?

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No blues for me but one wall at the end of a long hallway is painted deep maroon. I love the color itself but such a deep dark color is a real bugger to keep looking good. Anything brushing against it shows in the paint as does washing or even wiping it with a cloth. I hate looking at the streaks but nothing short of touching up with paint seems to work. If it was a whole room that dark it might be a ton of work.

Of your color samples, I think I like 2 the best. It’s dark but a bit more neutral which I always drawn to

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree it's the most neutral. Though, the colours in the photo do seem to be brighter than those on the walls. Other thing is I had to paint directly on the grey to see what it looked like - no good doing it on white sheets of paper and tacking them up.

I suppose if push comes to shove and I paint it and decide it's too dark I can just keep slapping on the white emulsion till it goes away!! 🤣

Got a gorgeous picture today as well which I think will look great.

What on earth is going on with attachment uploading now??!

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like 2 and 6 the best.

I have a dark teal kitchen with white cabinets, white backsplash, and a bright green cabinet. My bathroom is the same dark teal and pale blue that passes as white at first glance. I stenciled a Moroccan motif in green/blue color shift paint that is slightly different from the dark teal. The teal is Tsunami by Behr, the pale blue is Alice White by Behr.

My bedroom is a deep French grey called Paramount, also by Behr. My son and daughter-in-law have a red room, which I will paint when they move out. I do not mind red, but I do not particularly like the red they selected. My daughter drew on her walls, so we are currently trying to decide what color to paint it now that she is completely moved out. The rest of the house is Light French Grey by Sherwin Williams. I am considering a change.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree it's the most neutral. Though, the colours in the photo do seem to be brighter than those on the walls. Other thing is I had to paint directly on the grey to see what it looked like - no good doing it on white sheets of paper and tacking them up.

I suppose if push comes to shove and I paint it and decide it's too dark I can just keep slapping on the white emulsion till it goes away!! 🤣

Got a gorgeous picture today as well which I think will look great.

What on earth is going on with attachment uploading now??!
I can see that picture will go great with any paint color you choose. Very beautiful.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are worried that it might be too dark, perhaps a color like Loyal Blue by Sherwin Williams or Ice Cave by Berh. They are medium blues without the deepness of the ones you have.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will be in the minority; I like #1.

Last edited:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting to see what you guys think :) thank you for adding your thoughts.

Odd how it changes when you see it on the walls? Originally I really thought #1 would be the best fit for what I had in mind. When I was looking at the paint swatch thingies, I was drawn to #6.

But now the squares are there I am much more drawn to #2, with #3 as the second choice.

I've seen a stunning colour online - pic hopefully below - but have no way to colour match it and can't find anything that similar that's not just purple.

Elphaba09 Elphaba09 that colour is lovely.

Edited to add : I'm in the UK so can't get paints by Behr or Sherwin Williams (as far as I know). Which is annoying, seen some really nice room makeovers online.

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting to see what you guys think :) thank you for adding your thoughts.

Odd how it changes when you see it on the walls? Originally I really thought #1 would be the best fit for what I had in mind. When I was looking at the paint swatch thingies, I was drawn to #6.

But now the squares are there I am much more drawn to #2, with #3 as the second choice.

I've seen a stunning colour online - pic hopefully below - but have no way to colour match it and can't find anything that similar that's not just purple.

Elphaba09 Elphaba09 that colour is lovely.

Edited to add : I'm in the UK so can't get paints by Behr or Sherwin Williams (as far as I know). Which is annoying, seen some really nice room makeovers online.

Hmm... I will look around for UK paints to see what comes up. That purple-ish blue is gorgeous!

Last edited:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's stunning isn't it. I think I like it because it's not purple and it's not blue, it's some kind of enchanted colour in the middle. Almost minded to go for #2, get a really deep purple in the Valspar if they have one, and mix it up and see what I get.

That's how I got my pale grey blue colour - I had 3/4 tin of an off white and some grey left so I just mixed them together :)

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A color close to the purple-ish blue is Thai Sapphire by The Little Green Paint and Paper company. Sadly for me, I now want their Basalt and Deep Space.

Midnight Navy by Benjamin Moore is also similar.

If you are talking mixing paints, is Valspar "Mix Your Own" available in your area?

If anyone finds a muted puce, let me know!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't you get any paint tinted any color, as long as you know the "recipe"? I've had paints tinted a different brand's color; I never thought colors were brand-specific.

So if you can find the "recipe" for that blue-purple, ask if the store can tint you a pint or so and see if you like it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 and 3 are my favorites but I'm not sure how well I'm seeing them over my computer. 4 is really nice too. I love painting and colors so maybe I'm no help like this. :lol2: I've had some paint chips taped to my bedroom wall for several years too. I really do love to paint; but time....:rolleyes2:

The lower half of my kitchen is a deep purple. It really gave the room some personality. Because my house is semi-open I have the top half of the walls the same sandy tan shade. The living room has a green bottom and the kitchen/dining/office side has the purple. I like that the rooms compliment each other; but the purple makes it feel different in there.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glittercat glittercat - The store should be able to match any color you bring in. Find the color you want, and they can "read" it and produce it in the brand of paint you want.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the paint mixing and matching service is available near me.

Problem is that I can only show them something on my phone and they cannot match using that, they need a 'thing'.

I do not have anything physically that I can use to take into the shop which is the colour I am looking for. There is nothing that mentions the brand or colour of the paint in the picture. It may have been a custom blend...

Actually I have a plan of sorts.... . I could get some purple tester pots and just mix up with the blue testers until I get something. I could then take that in and get a match done. Or just stick with the dark blue.

Decisions lol

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So a couple of pictures in daylight. Although, the sun doesn't hit the front of my house until around 2pm-ish so it doesn't look particularly bright.

Got to say I really don't like the new file uploading system at all.

Attachments

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:) it will only get lighter in here as well.

Now thinking #2 on the long wall and #3 or #6 on the short wall behind the TV.

Really incredibly disappointed by the Hague Blue #1. In every picture I have seen of it it's the most wonderful dark saturated navy. Just looks green on my walls. Mind you at £48 for 2.5 ltrs maybe it's just as well lol.