changing oil?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so nice
I still haven't done it, but hopefully tomorrow.. lol I am so putting this off. But although I have a few friends that have offered to do it, I really want to be able to do it on my own.. at least once.. lol

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I change my own oil, and I do it every 3000 miles. I believe it's the #1 way to keep your car healthy.

It only takes me about 15 minutes. It's not so much the money you spend at the place, but the time you sit waiting.

I always do mine first thing in the morning on a weekend, so that the car is cool. You might need a filter wrench for the filter. Plan on getting dirty, because depending on how your filter sits, you almost can't avoid getting dirty when you loosen it. I keep a bunch of old t-shirts handy for that.

I always have my best friend handy for the first change, because if the bolt in the oil pan is too tight for me to loosen, he can get it for me.

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, kiwi....just a hint for others....lol

Well, I dont think it voids the warranty thing on every car, really. It's just the warranty I have (I paid like an extra $500 for it, and if I don't follow it, then I don't get any insurance or something like that). If I didn't have it, I don't think it would really matter if I did it or the garage did it.

Keep us updated, k?

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Annabelle!

I still have to learn about tyre changing.

Though I have no qualms with water, battery, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and oil levels...the easy stuff.

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How'd it go? Did you get it done ok? I dont' think it said this anywhere: After you are all done, just back the car up a little ways (like a foot or two) and leave it running for a bit. Then you can tell if it's all sealed up right, the cap is on tight etc. If it leaks (oil) then you know it's not, and you might need help!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question. What do you do with the old oil, you let out? I mean, you have to put it in something, don't you? And I know you can't just throw it in the trash. I know here in California you have to take old oil to some kind of recycling place. So, what do you let the old oil drip into. I'd change my own, if I thought I could find a way to get rid of the old oil, without making a mess on the ground.

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are these oil pans that you can get and you drain the oil into there. My neighbor & dad have one, and you can make it so the oil drains through a strainer type thing so that all the yucky bits don't go into the oil, and just dump the gritty parts into a garbage can (or bag or whatever), and then the oil, you just put into an old can or 5 gallon pail, and put a lid on it, and then take it to the dump to the recycling place for old oil. I tried to find a pic, but I couldn't. I suppose if you were really in a fix, you could use like a couple of ice cream pails.....but that might not be a good idea. If you go to a store like Canadian Tire (ok, I know a lot of you don't have that store, b/c it's Canadian), my friend suggested menards for the States, I don't know what else, really. But you can likely find it in Walmart too. Go to the Automotive center, and they'll tell you/give you what all ya need. Have fun!

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Checker Auto parts AKA Schuks auto parts, AutoZone all sell what is called an oil drip pan. it's a black plactic tub that has a spout on the sideof it and you place under your vehicle when changing your oil and you let the oil drip from your car on to this pan and it falls through this hole in the middle of the pan to a holding area, you can then pour it out again by the spout that's on the side. Also I know that the Checkers around here have big barrels for people to put there old oil in and from there they take car of it.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an oil change pan that my oil drains into. Then, I pour it into old cat litter jugs and take it to an automotive store to recycle it. Most auto parts stores here accept old oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually did not change my oil yet lol.. Ok, I popped the hood, thn laid on the ground and located the filter and the plug, and then went to get my plastic oil pan and there was a colony of big hairy spiders living in it!! (Can you tell I use it often??) Well, me being an arachnaphobe, I completely freaked out and just gave up on the oil change until I can get someone to help me. Luckily (or not really luckily but in this case luckily) I am still job searching so I don't travel regularly so I haven't gone over the mileage yet..

And they make 5 qt oil jugs so you put the new oil in and just pour the old oil into the jugs, but it's stupid because most cars take around 4.25 quarts or so, so you hve this extra oil left over.. My friends take their used oil to advanced auto for free recycling..

So about the warranty, I called dodge and they gave me the spiel "Although we recommend having your oil changed through a certified dodge dealer for quality and car compatibility, it will not void your warranty to do it elsewhere or to do it yourself." But the truth is, that I've heard, Mopar gets it's filter from Fram and oil is just standard oil so really if I get a quality filter and synthetic oil I'm taking a lot better care of my car than going to dodge would. They are just trying to make $$$.