Changing cat's food

Steve Louisiana Boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is eleven years old and she eats one kind of dry food which is going to be discontinued.She has eaten this food all of her adult life.This is the only food she will eat.I have tried other dry and wet foods and she will not eat anything else.I've even tried people food such as ham,chicken,and tuna fish as an experiment and she will not touch it.She will not even drink milk.She is very healthy and gets good vet check ups.I'm at a loss as what I can do but I do have a good supply of her current food but I'm just trying to get ahead of this issue.Any help will be appreciated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the brand name of the dry food that is being discontinued? Can you stockpile every bag of food you can find in the stores and in the meantime try to get your cat to eat another brand?

Food changes need to be done gradually so a cat accepts it. Here are tips:

You can use some of the current brand and use it as a topper on new food to entice the cat to eat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 11 years old, it's a good time to be thinking about her kidneys and making a harder push towards a wet food conversion. Try Fancy Feast Classic Pates. These come in many flavors and have a very good species-appropriate formula. They are affordable and popular with most cats. Start with a spoonful and top it with her dry food powdered up and sprinkled over it. If she takes more than a few bites, keep offering it. My cat will do her own slow introductions where she will eat just a few bites of a new food and wait to see how it's going to treat her before trying it again.

Which is her dry food, by the way?

Tiki Cat makes a dry food that doesn't look too bad considering it is a dry food.

Tiki Cat also makes great wet foods. They are a little lower on the calories side than the Fancy Feast pates because they are a shredded texture vs a pate. You can increase both the appeal and the calories with their velvet mousse toppers.

For all the bad rap that feeding fish foods get, this may not be a bad time to resort to them. Once you've found a soft landing that she can transition to that isn't being discontinued, you have bought yourself time to find, and try other foods that aren't fish-based. I don't recommend leaving her on a fish-based food. As she gets older, you'll want to reserve fish-based foods for times when she's not feeling so great and doesn't want to eat. Fish-based foods can usually bust through a hunger strike as long as they aren't eating them all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steve Louisiana Boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the brand name of the dry food that is being discontinued? Can you stockpile every bag of food you can find in the stores and in the meantime try to get your cat to eat another brand?

Food changes need to be done gradually so a cat accepts it. Here are tips:

[/URL]

You can use some of the current brand and use it as a topper on new food to entice the cat to eat.
Thank you.

Steve Louisiana Boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At 11 years old, it's a good time to be thinking about her kidneys and making a harder push towards a wet food conversion. Try Fancy Feast Classic Pates. These come in many flavors and have a very good species-appropriate formula. They are affordable and popular with most cats. Start with a spoonful and top it with her dry food powdered up and sprinkled over it. If she takes more than a few bites, keep offering it. My cat will do her own slow introductions where she will eat just a few bites of a new food and wait to see how it's going to treat her before trying it again.

Which is her dry food, by the way?

Tiki Cat makes a dry food that doesn't look too bad considering it is a dry food.

Tiki Cat also makes great wet foods. They are a little lower on the calories side than the Fancy Feast pates because they are a shredded texture vs a pate. You can increase both the appeal and the calories with their velvet mousse toppers.

For all the bad rap that feeding fish foods get, this may not be a bad time to resort to them. Once you've found a soft landing that she can transition to that isn't being discontinued, you have bought yourself time to find, and try other foods that aren't fish-based. I don't recommend leaving her on a fish-based food. As she gets older, you'll want to reserve fish-based foods for times when she's not feeling so great and doesn't want to eat. Fish-based foods can usually bust through a hunger strike as long as they aren't eating them all the time.
Nutro Cat Max Salmon flavor.Thanks for the reply and advice.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Steve Louisiana Boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
Nutro Cat Max Salmon flavor.The food has shelf life of one year. I ordered two 16 lb bags today and have almost a full bag now.That should be good for almost 10-11 months.I really haven't kept track of how long a bag last but I'm guessing at least 3 months,maybe more.Thanks for the reply.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can extend the shelf life of the dry food by tranferring the food from the bag into a food safe container. Dry food tends to go rancid quickly in the bag IMO. You can place the container of dry food in the refrigerator or freezer or just in a cool place.