Changes With Age?

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a random question because my cat has had a war with being sick recently and I'm a bit paranoid.

Anyways my cats are approaching their 7th birthday and I'm just curious if its normal at this age for them to become less interested in toys? And well boring?

Don't get me wrong, they are currently chasing a month around the apartment and still sometimes chase the laser pointer, but they seem uninterested in most toys now a days.

Is this normal with age for them to choose laying around more over enjoying their toys? Or should I look into something else? I figured 7 isn't that old for a cat, but I've also never had cats from a kitten to this age to know how their behavior may change over the years.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens will play with anything and to the point of exhaustion. While there are many exceptions, adult cats tend to be rather sedentary. Rotating their toys, adding a new type of toy, or finding out whether they're stimulated by catnip, valerian root, or silver vine could make them more interested in playing again, but there are no guarantees.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy used to play for about ten minutes at a time and now it seems like he plays in 5 minute bursts and then just lays back to chill, watching our tux Stewart play after that. Tom just turned 8 and Stew turned 5 at the beginning of the year. Their weights are great so it's not that. Tom used to be 21 lbs and now he's 12-13 through diet over a three year period. He's got a ton of regular energy in being interested in all things going on in the house. He's gotten a second wind being on a raw diet since December.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 15 year old cat and she's still as interested in toys as she was as a young adult, just in shorter bursts.