Changes In Stools

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!Its been some time since I posted.I have 2 rescues Smoke has been with me 11 plus years,male(gray of course and brilliant)I have tortoise #2rescue someone had spayed her so she has been easier,Cookie.Cookie developed kidney disease after feeding grain free high protein kibble for some time.She recovered and we have been on Friskies kibs and wet food.
After moving to a new property cats are free to spend time outdoors more often and smoke LOVES outside he is so happy.
Suddenly we have soft to loose to liquid smelly poops with some blood in them.We have many many strays and I am afraid he has picked up something from the recent batch of kittens drinking from the water bowl.Neighbor lady feeds many cats but doesn't spay or vet any of them.I am not judging right now I don't have the funds to vet the two I have.I just wish some people would take a little responsibility for the community they live in.So many people on this site are just ordinary working class citizens trying to do whats right.I think these kind of forums increase the knowledge base and involved people.So I amtaking a stool specimen to the vets.I love this old guy but I am so poor right now and it may just have to wait while I watch my babies poop their brains out and don't have the funds to get them treated.You guys are all great .If we had this kind of concern in everyday life or the government..think what we could do.Well I wish everyone favor/luck in all the endeavors to care for the animal community ,and others....onward...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe these will help you, I certainly hope so!

When You Can't Afford A Veterinarian
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Help For Cat Care.

Canned pumpkin mixed with their food can help with runny stools.

As for the stray situation, we have lots of members here who are rescuers and deeply involved with TNR. If you were to post your situation with the strays/ferals in the Forums forum, someone may be able to help you find a group in your area to assist those cats, as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you...
Actually held kibbles for one month and increased wet feeds.Something strange occurred.That is cats stopped pooping almost altogether.So I gave my girl with grooming/miliary issues a gob of Vaseline-pea sized for 2 days and she is having normal stools.Started feeding kibs again and both cats are stooling normal.What was that??? So complicated the feline.In my case a little common sense went a long way .And my cats are old rescues they don't like cold weather having survived it for years(without a lovely community of humans to commiserate their fate)They like indoors in the winter so I don't have to worry myself to death about indoor/outdoor concerns.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As my father (who was something of an animal whisperer...anything with fur) used to say, "Who knows from cats?" I do know that a sudden change in food can cause havoc with them. Maybe the change, then the change back along with the Vaseline (next time try a small amount of olive oil since it is plant-based) shocked their systems into a "reset," so to speak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes"who knows from cats" is good thanks for the reply.Mine are doing ok.New worry is why doesn't male cat that loved outside stop going out?Neighbor found baby water moccasin in his driveway.Male cat acts very afraid when I open the door and creeps around,runs in.The water dept just fixed a main and I live a block from the mighty Ohio river.Boy I hope I don't have snakes under or around the house.Smokem may know something I don't.Wish they could talk....

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just read a quote by someone or another whom I ought to remember and don't, "It always gives a shiver when I see a cat seeing something that I can't see." He knows something, cats do that.