Changes in nose color?

melissa murray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came upon this site/forum looking for answers about my cat's changes in nose coloring. She is a 9 year old healthy, female, tuxedo cat. I had always noticed that when she was calm and sleepy her nose was almost white , like her surrounding fur. But when she was playful or angry, her nose was quite pink. I even saw her nose turn so dark , it was almost purple once. That was when she was very very stressed though. So my question is, does she have a mood nose, or is it a temperature/blood pressure nose? And is this a trait tuxedo cats specifacally have? 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably a reflection of how much blood is flowing in the vessels of the nose.  I've seen the phenomenon, usually in cats that have white around their nose (so the nose is naturally pink).

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably a reflection of how much blood is flowing in the vessels of the nose.  I've seen the phenomenon, usually in cats that have white around their nose (so the nose is naturally pink).
:yeah: I see that with my white cat Aristotle. When resting, his nose goes almost white.

If it stays pale, it could be a medical problem such as anemia.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pushkin, who is white and grey, has a pale pink nose. It will go very pale, almost white when he is sleeping peacefully. I've never actually noticed if it goes dark when he's stressed though. I'll have to go annoy him as an experiment! :lol3: