Changes in behavior after loss of kitty companion

addydubai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my little bundle of joy for a little over a year. My former roommate also had a cat and the two cats became really close. Now my former roommate has moved out and taken her cat with her, leaving my kitty with no companion.

At first he seemed to be handling the situation fine, even becoming more affectionate which was nice as he was very independent before. Now however he has developed other new bad habits. He YOWLS all through the night and even during the day now. At first I thought he might be missing his buddy but he is still doing it. He never used to meow like this, i didnt know he could meow this loud. I go check on him and he is just standing in the living room screaming. The previous affection has turned into clinging and desperation if I leave the room. He is also constantly kneading surfaces, which he never did before.

How can I help ease this transition? Im am starting to worry about noise complaints from neighbors but of course i worry about the well being of my kitty! 

Some sites say he could be mourning, some say he needs a new companion, some say give extra attention, some say ignore it. I feel lost! 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Change is very hard for cats too.  His buddy is gone and he is quite sad.  I would be sure to get a few feliway diffusers to help ease some of the stress.  You also can look into some flower essences.  Jackson Galaxy has line called Spirit Essences. 

I also would suggest playing with him using the technique hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep. Get a wand toy (such as the da bird) or a laser pointer and a toy he likes to fetch and really get him moving.  Try to have the session last 10-20 minutes so it really tires him out.  He will hunt, catch and kill, the wand, laser or toy.  Next offer him a special snack or small meal.  Make it something special.  This will satisfy the eat portion.  If he is tired out and had a bit to eat, he will then groom himself and take a nap.  This can be done many times throughout the day.

The suggestions of extra attention or getting another cat are possibilities.  Yet another cat could backfire if the cat is different or has a different temperment than the previous cat.  Also cat to cat introductions would need to be done or the process of bringing a new cat in could backfire.  The process does take time. 

I would try the feliway and extra play and love and see how he adjusts.  He will need time to understand.  My guess is that the 2 cats might have had play session during the night.  He misses that time. 

Will he ever get a chance to see your roommates cat again?  I would wonder if the other cat is having similar issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addydubai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply! 

There is possibilities of him seeing Hans (the other cat) again but I didnt know if this will do more harm than good? Wont he mourn all over again if he sees him?

My former roommate and I had a little falling out as I fought really hard to keep the cats together.I had already provided a steady happy home for both cats. Yet of course I understand she wants her cat, just like how I want to keep mine.  If this continues I would start considering giving her Addy (my cat), its more important he is happy than my selfishness, although it would simply break my heart. But this is a LAST RESORT. 

Its been 10 days since the separation so its still early, but his habits are escalating. Even trips to the bathroom are met with desperate yowling on the other side of the door.

I will try to play more even though he is not a big fan of toys. Wands and laser are not much interest. He had one toy which he loved (and mutilated) and I have yet to find another like it.  Im going to try and find the feliway but living in Dubai  we dont have the magic of PetCo or PetSmart. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you so much for your reply! 

There is possibilities of him seeing Hans (the other cat) again but I didnt know if this will do more harm than good? Wont he mourn all over again if he sees him?

My former roommate and I had a little falling out as I fought really hard to keep the cats together.I had already provided a steady happy home for both cats. Yet of course I understand she wants her cat, just like how I want to keep mine.  If this continues I would start considering giving her Addy (my cat), its more important he is happy than my selfishness, although it would simply break my heart. But this is a LAST RESORT. 

Its been 10 days since the separation so its still early, but his habits are escalating. Even trips to the bathroom are met with desperate yowling on the other side of the door.

I will try to play more even though he is not a big fan of toys. Wands and laser are not much interest. He had one toy which he loved (and mutilated) and I have yet to find another like it.  Im going to try and find the feliway but living in Dubai  we dont have the magic of PetCo or PetSmart. 
Can you order from Amazon?  Not sure how long it would take to get to you, but they usually have good prices.  Maybe in Dubai you can find something similar.  It's a phermone diffuser or spray you are looking for. 

You might also try to find some Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy.  You can put them into his wet food, into his drinking water, place a few drops on your hands and then run them down his body or even mist them around the room. 

He must be feeling very lonely and worried that you may leave him too.  I would try to really find him a toy that he might enjoy.  Does he have a cat tree or a perch or a place where he could look outside? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addydubai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Can you order from Amazon?  Not sure how long it would take to get to you, but they usually have good prices.  Maybe in Dubai you can find something similar.  It's a phermone diffuser or spray you are looking for. 

You might also try to find some Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy.  You can put them into his wet food, into his drinking water, place a few drops on your hands and then run them down his body or even mist them around the room. 

He must be feeling very lonely and worried that you may leave him too.  I would try to really find him a toy that he might enjoy.  Does he have a cat tree or a perch or a place where he could look outside? 
I will ask my vet, maybe he knows a good place or maybe even has some in his "shop"

Yes he has a very large cat tree next to bookshelves so he can climb and explore. I also have large windowsills which he likes to nap and observe the rare pigeon that flies by. I have also bought a radio to leave on with soft music and shows so he will hear voices and movement when Im at work.   

I do fear he is very lonely and sad. I honestly hoped he would be fine since before he was the dominant cat, very independent, and confident. I worried more about Hans as he was overly affectionate, needy and insecure. But now Addy is a very different cat....

Do you think there is a possibility he will feel secure again with time?