Change in 3 year old cat

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So about a year ago I moved in to an apartment with my roommate Anthony and his cat Meowz who is now 3 years old. At the time I just had my 2 year old cat Blair, and both of them adjusted really well. His cat pretty much keeps to herself in his room and sometimes in the common area, but has rarely every entered my room. My cat Blair has pretty much kept to my room as well.

Anyway about a few months ago I rescued a month old kitten Dallas and he fit in great with the rest of the cats. Blair and him would cuddle, Meowz pretty  much just kept to herself as she has done since I moved in.

The weird thing is that about a week ago I came home and Meowz was laying on my bed with the other two cats. Now she won't leave my room or even come into Anthony's room when called, which is very strange. Obviously I don't mind her being in my room...but it's just unusual behavior for her and my roommate is starting to feel a bit hurt that she has suddenly abandoned him.

Does anyone have any explanation for this sudden change? 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep the cat party is in your room. I would tell Anthony not to be too hurt she just discovered two new friends. If you can move the cat party to a different room she'd probably move rooms.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree except that in time all three will probably be moving to different areas (including Anthony's room and bed) for their get together. Likely your cat Blair who sounds like a very friendly cat, invited them all in. One day Meowz might decide to invite them to her place. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha yea I think Dallas is the one who has joined the whole little clan together. My two cats have never really gone into Anthony's room except for the occasional chance to steal some of Meowz food lol I think they like my room the best because I have all the cat toys, scratching posts, cat cubes and my room is generally neater than Anthony's is lol 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe suggest to your room mate to get a nice cat tree and some things like that.  Or get one for the common area that they can share.  Does Meowz play with you now?  I wonder if you move some play time to the common area; if that will help them keep up the friendship; but not make it so she is never with her owner.  

I think it's sweet that they have all become close!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I think another issue is that he keeps rearranging all the furniture in the room and it stresses her out. His cat is very skittish and doesn't like change. She has only lived in one place her whole life and never goes anywhere.

My cats Blair and Dallas are used to travel and staying at relatives with me and such. They are more brave and friends with everyone.