Chance We Might Get A Puppy Tomorrow...help!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are like 2nd or 3rd interested in a friend's puppy so chance may be small, but I want to understand the dynamic. Two cats, Rocky, 9 yr old female, anxiety with other cats if they want to get close; Clyde 2 yr old male, still pretty active, playful but not a fighter, especially active if he doesn't get to go outside for some reason (both are indoor/outdoor). Rocky will actively avoid Clyde even when he isn't being a PITA. When he is bothering her, she displays classic anxiety behaviors at a moderate level but will never fight. Dog would be a young mix of small breed dogs.

How does this usually go? And special introduction needed?

My thought is that the puppy tries to be friendly and Rocky swats at him, he learns to avoid her and things aren't too bad. I mean, kittens often don't learn to stay away, but puppies usually do???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puppy is available! We are going over now. No introduction tips? Is an introduction necessary?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Sorry about the delay. Congratulations on your new family member. We have an article that covers introducing cats to dogs. How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

The most important thing to remember is that it is the dog's behavior that will need to be monitored not the cat's. Yes- the introductions are definitely necessary.

Good luck. Let us know if you need any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted the puppy, and the puppy - cat intros went *really well*. There was some puffy tail on the cat side, and some nervous mewling on the tiny puppy side, but the puppy was just so small and harmless the cats calmed down.

And then my daughter started to sneeze and her eye closed up like she was in an MMA fight and we gave the puppy back...argh!!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We adopted the puppy, and the puppy - cat intros went *really well*. There was some puffy tail on the cat side, and some nervous mewling on the tiny puppy side, but the puppy was just so small and harmless the cats calmed down.

And then my daughter started to sneeze and her eye closed up like she was in an MMA fight and we gave the puppy back...argh!!
I am so very sorry to hear that. Well, at least you can still have the cats :( maybe another feline friend un the future?