Chance Of A New Uti?

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is recovering from his first UTI...its been about 3 weeks since his antibiotics, and his last pee test came out clean.
He is now peeing 2 times a day and pooping every other day so I would say he is recovering pretty well.
The problem is that I am still very scared of him having another UTI. Every time he goes to pee I freak out and I am stressed all the time that he isn't ok:(
What are the chances of him doing another UTI after his first one?
I don't know how to stop this feeling, anyone else went through this?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet recommend a change in diet? Our last cat had one UTI, but no recurrence after his dry food was switched to a prescription variety. He'd been eating 1/2 canned and 1/2 dry. Ideally, he should have been eating all canned, but he wouldn't.

For the rest of his life, I took a urine sample to the vet's to be checked for crystals every six months (which might have been a bit paranoid, but gave me some peace of mind).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet recommend a change in diet? Our last cat had one UTI, but no recurrence after his dry food was switched to a prescription variety. He'd been eating 1/2 canned and 1/2 dry. Ideally, he should have been eating all canned, but he wouldn't.

For the rest of his life, I took a urine sample to the vet's to be checked for crystals every six months (which might have been a bit paranoid, but gave me some peace of mind).
Yes, he is on a special food for crystals as well, he is eating Purina UR and I' trying to give him as much wet as I can, although the vet said he would prefer my cat would eat dry because he is young and its' better for his teeth. I will also get in some urine sample but It hasn't been that long from the last one and it' expensive so I shouldn' go crazy with them.
I just don't know why he did the UTI in the first place, vet said it might be stress, so I don' want him to go through that again, it was very sad and painful couple of days when he had it. I also don't want to be panicking every time he pees but I' still not over it and the fear is there:(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the vet said he would prefer my cat would eat dry because he is young and its' better for his teeth.

Dry food does nothing for the teeth. It's a myth that many vets still believe in and tell clients:dunno: No food keeps teeth clean, although raw feeders do say that gizzards and hearts and chunks of meat help.

Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat's Teeth?

Dry food is also not what a cat who is post-urinary issue should eat anyways. Dry food is what causes some cats to develop urinary issues in the first place.

Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Prescription food is usually not needed for long term prevention of urinary issues. Most cats just need to be on a canned food only diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dry food does nothing for the teeth. It's a myth that many vets still believe in and tell clients:dunno: No food keeps teeth clean, although raw feeders do say that gizzards and hearts and chunks of meat help.

Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat's Teeth?

Dry food is also not what a cat who is post-urinary issue should eat anyways. Dry food is what causes some cats to develop urinary issues in the first place.

Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Prescription food is usually not needed for long term prevention of urinary issues. Most cats just need to be on a canned food only diet.
Yes, I will try my best to only give him wet food since I know its best for him. The vet did say that he wants me to give him this prescribed food for at least 3 months so Imma stick with it and talk to him after.
I'll do anything for him not to get sick again:(