CH Kitty and anesthesia

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm SO glad she did so well! I'm sorry to hear she doesn't feel well today, but I'm sure it's the antibiotic/recovery. I don't remember which one of our kitties it was, but one of them had teeth pulled a few months ago, and didn't want to eat much for a day or two. I remember being worried, but kept talking myself down - and everything ended up being fine. Although I did decline antibiotics. I told the vet we'd use antibiotics if they GOT an infection from having the teeth pulled.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: she's back to better than before, now that those teeth are out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!  I have a whole new challenge ahead of me for the next 10 days.....I thought medicating DeeJay was bad......Mini Dee is 100x worse than DeeJay, clawing, biting, squirming, doing somersaults.....spitting it out, frothing at the mouth.....not sure if it's gonna be worth it trying to get meds into her.  It's gonna be a long 10 days.  I've never had to medicate her that I can remember.  We always have done like the long acting penicillin shots when she's had bladder issues.  She ate a little bit of her dinner so that's a good sign. 

tinybash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daisy is the same. At first our vet had to pill her. Then we started using a pill popper which worked for a while then we progressed to pill pockets which worked for 3 weeks - may be worth trying the pill pockets as they're nice and soft.

Good luck :)

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much better.  She ate most of her breakfast during the day and is more active.  I heard her 'naughtiness' story today.  I guess she was doing back flips and somersaults while they were trying to get blood from her and put in a catheter.  I warned them she would be a pill cause she hates restraint.  But I'm at least happy she is doing somewhat better today.  Medicating her is still quite difficult.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Much better.  She ate most of her breakfast during the day and is more active.  I heard her 'naughtiness' story today.  I guess she was doing back flips and somersaults while they were trying to get blood from her and put in a catheter.  I warned them she would be a pill cause she hates restraint.  But I'm at least happy she is doing somewhat better today.  Medicating her is still quite difficult.
Why did she need those things done?  A catheter in particular?  I thought she just needed her antibiotics.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why did she need those things done?  A catheter in particular?  I thought she just needed her antibiotics.
I don't ever put any of my animals under anesthesia without have bloodwork done.  Also a catheter is in case there is an emergency during the procedure they have direct access to the vein and can administer life saving drugs immediately instead of trying to do it under pressure or when the animals life may be at stake.  More of a precaution than anything. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I don't ever put any of my animals under anesthesia without have bloodwork done.  Also a catheter is in case there is an emergency during the procedure they have direct access to the vein and can administer life saving drugs immediately instead of trying to do it under pressure or when the animals life may be at stake.  More of a precaution than anything. 
Ohhhhhh.  I get it now.  I thought she was having these things done again YESTERDAY
.  But you were saying how they were telling you about when she originally went in to have her dental done
  Sometimes I'm a little slow
.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was worried there for a minute.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ohhhhhh.  I get it now.  I thought she was having these things done again YESTERDAY
.  But you were saying how they were telling you about when she originally went in to have her dental done
  Sometimes I'm a little slow
.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was worried there for a minute.
Ha Ha, sorry I should have made it more clear on that.  No my manager was just talking to me the next day as I was telling her how difficult Mini Dee is to medicate so she told me how naughty she was.  LOL

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mini Dee is pretty much back to normal.  She is eating/drinking normally and active.  She still fights me on the medication but not as badly as she was.  She is loving all the treats I have been giving her.