Cell Phone Blues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I simply won't sign a contract. Honestly, if you knew my life...you would wonder why I even need a cell phone.
And except for one week of the year, I don't. Honestly, I don't.

My other biggest problem is the coverage of the area I go to in Ohio each year. I've heard that Virgin Mobile's coverage outside of your local area is spotty. Cingular's Go Phone doesn't require a contract, just my credit card number so they can charge the same amount as if I had a contract. Still too much $/month for me.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of TracPhone (which uses Verizon's network, I think, which is a good network overall), but I think I'm leaning toward them. I can get a decent little phone at Sam's Club for $40 or so, and put on 40 minutes or less every 3 months. If I use it more, I can add more.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Virgin uses the Sprint network, if that helps. I've had the phone 3 years & never had any problems with coverage in or near metropolitan areas, but the rural coverage is spotty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Virgin uses the Sprint network, if that helps. I've had the phone 3 years & never had any problems with coverage in or near metropolitan areas, but the rural coverage is spotty.
Yeah, that's the problem. Where I go isn't near any metro areas at all. I was pretty sure that those on the team who have Sprint can't get coverage on base, but can when we head into town (Port Clinton, Ohio) in the evening for dinner. AT&T coverage was spotty at best, and I'm not sure about Cingular. I know for sure that Verizon has a good signal on base (my father has Verizon). I know that the Nextel walkie-talkies do work on base, but those are way too expensive for me to justify right now.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i never knew they had throw away phones..

I have a mobile phone, i payed my bill far too late ad they added 200 euros on top of that.. that got me reall peed, now i cant use my cell phone for another 3 months unless i pay itt off at once.. Thats the bummer about the contract and i dont want to pay 40 euros just to get another sim card for the pay as you go stuff

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Yeah, that's the problem. Where I go isn't near any metro areas at all. I was pretty sure that those on the team who have Sprint can't get coverage on base, but can when we head into town (Port Clinton, Ohio) in the evening for dinner. AT&T coverage was spotty at best, and I'm not sure about Cingular. I know for sure that Verizon has a good signal on base (my father has Verizon). I know that the Nextel walkie-talkies do work on base, but those are way too expensive for me to justify right now.
where i am, AT&T is Cingular. just FYI...

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I refuse to get one, too. I would borrow my parents if I had to drive out of town on business by myself.

Is there anyone that you know fairly well that will be at the championship? I mean there a lot of people that have so many minutes and no roaming that they probably wouldn't care in the least if you borrowed it. You could always approach them ahead of time and offer to pay for the use of their phone.