Celebrate Julia Child week

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A PBS station is having a Julia Child week from May 25 to May 29 :D Original full episodes of The French Chef will be aired along with behind the scenes footage. A variety of celebrity chefs and special guests who personally knew Julia Child will join in discussions. The episodes will air on the station's web site, Youtube channel, FB page, and Twitch. Details here: WGBH's Julia Child Week

I loved watching The French Chef growing up. I remember the black and white episodes the PBS station would re-air occasionally. I don't have a favorite episode but I do like the one where Julia had a line of various sized chickens on the counter that she called "The Chicken Sisters" :lol:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you suppose I can claim last night's roast chicken dinner was homage to Julia? I think so.

Only saw her once. She was making a presentation at - of all places! - Lord & Taylor in Stamford CT. Imposing woman. I brought a tussie-mussie of fresh herbs for her.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would have loved to have been able to meet her at some point, but would have, no doubt, been completely tongue-tied. I do enjoy watching her shows. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kat0121 Kat0121 I thought Julie and Julia was completely adorable. Even Rick liked it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have loved to have been able to meet her at some point, but would have, no doubt, been completely tongue-tied. I do enjoy watching her shows. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kat0121 Kat0121 I thought Julie and Julia was completely adorable. Even Rick liked it.
I loved her show. She was amazing.

I thought so too. This thread made me want to re-watch it last night.

C catapault Yes. Definitely. Anything made with love is an homage to Julia IMO.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have such fond memories of watching her TV show (and other chefs popular at the time) with my dad growing up. While my mom was the daily cook for our family my father would collect the "fancy" recipes and make those; he was certainly more inclined to try out newer foods. I credit both Julia Child and my dad for giving me the love of cooking I carry to this day.

FYI - Julia's quiche recipe is the quintessential version and one of my all time favorite dishes 😋 Darn now I want to make it but will have to shop for ingredients!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching Julia, at a younger age, in my teens, I learned how to make an omelette. This was my first time cooking anything!

Is it any wonder that I love omelettes! I do make good ones

LTS3 LTS3 I remember that episode!!! The chicken sisters!! :lol:

The skits on SNL were hilarious, with Dan Ackroyd. I remember reading/hearing that Julia loved them.

Such a remarkable woman. Read her life.. especially during WWII....she was a spy!

Also loved the interactions between her and Jacques Pepin (my idol-man)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some years ago I read a non fiction book, Cooking with Julia, where the author was, over the course of a year, making every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking book. It was fun reading about the author’s cooking learning experiences and at the same time learn about Julia and her recipes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some years ago I read a non fiction book, Cooking with Julia, where the author was, over the course of a year, making every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking book. It was fun reading about the author’s cooking learning experiences and at the same time learn about Julia and her recipes.

I think that may be Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa? I know she moved to France and did exactly this. I saw a rerun of an interview with her just last week talking about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can watch the event here starting tomorrow: