Cedar the scared kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I've probably heard just as many bad things about those diffusers as good things but I really hope it works for the boys, Dan!
thanks Sam. I sure do hope it works considering the expense of them. But if it doesnt work then so be it at least I know I have tried it and can eliminate it. Better to at least know i have given it a go than not know at all right?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

thanks Sam. I sure do hope it works considering the expense of them. But if it doesnt work then so be it at least I know I have tried it and can eliminate it. Better to at least know i have given it a go than not know at all right?
that's right Dan!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just thought I would give a Cedy update if anyone is interested...

We have had the feliway diffuser for a month or so now and there has been totally no change whatsoever in our baby Cedar
he is still petrified of everything and its just something we will have to deal with.

We had friends over on Sunday with their 5month old girl and Cedar was beside himself as usual. The problem with this is that its hard to coax him inside after they leave - even 5 hours after they leave its hard to get him inside. And then he wont go to sleep all night - probably thinking that these scary people will walk through the door. You can just see how tired he is, but he just wont sleep. He is usually ok the next day though.

It tears me apart, but what can we do? He is our little boy and I love him to death. I just wish he knew how safe he was with us... but I will not give up on him.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

It tears me apart, but what can we do? He is our little boy and I love him to death. I just wish he knew how safe he was with us... but I will not give up on him.
I'm sorry you're not making any headway on the wee boy's anxiety, Dan. It's trying isn't it? I hate to say it, but you may just have to wait him out and let him make his discoveries of safety in his own way in his own time.

Suzy has always been on the spooky side, never very trusting, certainly not of "strangers". She wasn't even particularly affectionate with us. We fretted about it when she was younger, and then decided she had to be allowed to make her decisions, and maybe when she knew she wasn't being pressed, however lovingly, she would be able to see that she was loved and safe. I think it's working -- notice the present participle -- it's a work in progress, six years later. She looks for attention and affection now, and when she doesn't want to interact, she just disappears quietly. And when the "bogeyman" is gone, she usually appears within an hour or so, to collect a scritch or two. She still has her irrationally spooky moments, but they are far fewer.

I hope your boy doesn't take too long to realize how safe he is, and that no harm will ever come to him if you have any say in it.
And you're right -- you just have to not give up.
Hang in there!

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi girly, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner!! So Mr. Cedar seems to be a tad bit spooked, huh? Hmm, I don't know how much help I can be, but I'll try.

I have used the Feliway Spray with Cody before for her behavior problems...and I definitely noticed a difference in her. Much more relaxed and not as mean. But that was for bathroom troubles! I sprayed it all around the house. Have you tried using a little cat nip with him? That always relaxes the kitties...especially now that he willl be hearing the cry of a baby soon!

Another thing to try is treats...does he like to get kitty treats? You could get a little cat house like I have...and only feed him his treats there. That way, he'll feel safe in a place that is ALL his and not have to go under your bed. Or if you don't have another room, even a closet would do...just put his toys and blanket in there and try to feed him treats there, and only there. He'll learn that is HIS place and therefore, getting him out from under the bed!! You may have to close the door to your bedroom while re-training. As long as he has somewhere to hide and feel safe, he won't totally freak out when the baby comes.

But for general timidness, I'm afraid that nothing really helps them besides unconditional love, affection and just plain 'ol meow time! As he gets older, he may relax a bit. Hopefully!!

Good luck with him!
Love from Cody and I to that little Cedar boy!! We're sending kitty vibes to him!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Danielle, I know it's a bit late to chime in on this thread. Sorry I didn't see it sooner!

One thing that came to mind is getting a tape with baby noises on it. That way he can at least get used to the sounds Baby Obes will make before he has the whole lot of different smells and such to deal with.