cedar box

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful cedar trunk. Will my cats use it as a litter box if I cut holes and make it into a proper box for them? It is cedar.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why in effect destroy a beautiful cedar trunk? The cats urine will seep into the wood and you'll never get the smell out. That's why litter pans are plastic. Cedar is an excellent moth repellent so use the chest to store blankets and woolens.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a beautiful cedar trunk. Will my cats use it as a litter box if I cut holes and make it into a proper box for them? It is cedar.
I could be way off, but my main concern would be this. Cats kinda like their territory to smell like them. Cedar has a strong odor that might mask the cats’ scent and annoy them, causing them not to want to use the box. Just a thought.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, you want your cats to destroy your beautiful cedar trunk?! Why?

I have a feeling we're missing something here. Are you really talking about turning the trunk into a giant litter box, or did you perhaps want to turn it into an enclosure for one or two litter boxes? The former wouldn't work. Not only would the urine soak into the cedar, making it smell bad, but eventually the floor of the trunk would rot away. Also, how would you clean it? You could certainly scoop the litter every day, but what happens when you need a complete litter change? Not practical.

Now, turning it into an enclosure for a litter box might actually work. Cutting holes in the trunk would still destroy it as a trunk, but it wouldn't destroy its beauty. You could use some heavy plastic sheeting to protect the floor of the enclosure from accidental spills. The litter box would be hidden, and the cedar would tend to counter litter box odor. Whether it would also absorb litter box odor from the air, eventually ruining the cedar, I don't know. As for whether your cats would use it, I have no idea. That would depend on your cats, and you're the expert on them. If your cats like Feliway you might want to spray some Feliway on a towel and put it into the enclosure. Renew the Feliway daily until your cats have become accustomed to using the new enclosure, then taper off. It also might be better to introduce the enclosure first as a hidey hole they could play in and only add the litter box after they're used to playing in it and think of it as belonging to them.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think the cedar smell would be off putting to most cats, and either they'd spray inside of it or avoid it completely, which obviously you don't want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. The trunk is pretty but there is already a hole in the bottom of it large enough to set a litter tray inside. Oh my no, I would not fill it with liter! I could trim out where the inward cuts are already to assist in lifting the top to allow some light in and a little air flow.
Currently my boys sit on it and I have left the lid open. They will sit inside. I have kept their two liter boxes out, I'm not removing them. Trunks are gorgeous and I have had special ones, but since there is a large hole in the floor of it, I thought I'd give it a try.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all. The trunk is pretty but there is already a hole in the bottom of it large enough to set a litter tray inside. Oh my no, I would not fill it with liter! I could trim out where the inward cuts are already to assist in lifting the top to allow some light in and a little air flow.
Currently my boys sit on it and I have left the lid open. They will sit inside. I have kept their two liter boxes out, I'm not removing them. Trunks are gorgeous and I have had special ones, but since there is a large hole in the floor of it, I thought I'd give it a try.
Would fashioning it into a cat-house work, with beds, toys, etc? It sounds like they already like it. :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all these gasps of horror and rushings to a trunk rescue..............I think we deserve (at least) one picture of this esteemed furnishing, just one measly picture...........with their nibs on top, of course !

DJJ DJJ - have you even posted any pictures in nearly 6 years?! Methinks our 'kitty tax' collectors have been sleeping on the job, or worse!