Cece’s Test Results - Alt 615 High

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So we had our first vet visit tonight. Mostly everything was fine except her ALT was high at 615. This was the E R vet with a follow-up on Monday. She had been throwing up and shaking her head lol trying to get water out.

Anyway, I was wondering what the ALT 615 meant. I read Li ver Disease, but everything I've read seems pretty damning. Any explanation of advice? We got sent home with some meds. Thank you. She is 9.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALT is an enzyme that liver cells release when they die. A normal reading is around 100. If she had been throwing up then she wasn't getting calories in which will cause her ALT to go up. A cat's liver isn't efficient at metabolizing fat. If the body breaks down fat too quickly it overwhelms the liver. If her issues with vomiting continues it does need to be investigated but don't jump to conclusions through Dr Google. It is a warning sign but that doesn't mean that there is a horrible illness going on. My kitty went into what is called Fatty Liver because of undiagnosed IBD and his ALT went over 1300. We got the IBD under control, his liver values went back to normal and he lived another 8 years with no major issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your information! I am running out to get pill pockets tomorrow. Any advice on pilling her? She has successfully nibbled around the pill :) . Thank you!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you missed this: what are the meds she was to take ?

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Curious why you want to know that?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right, then.

If you weren't given this, ask your Vet about it: Denamarin

It seems that they've added an improved formula - click on the 'Advanced' box there.

I noticed that you wrote this on Thursday:
"...She’s maybe been eating / drinking a little less..."​
If her raised liver values are the result of insufficient nutritional intake, then feeding is the primary therapy. Best keep a close eye on her food intake.

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was one of them. The other med was Enrofloxacin, 1/2 tablet. She hasn’t eaten it yet. Thanks!

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was one of them. The other med was Enrofloxacin, 1/2 tablet. She hasn’t eaten it yet. Thanks!
She has eaten the Enrofloxacin now. Is it supposed to cause sleepiness?

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Um, I’ve pilled cats before, thank you. She took it.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, how is she this morning lilaggie lilaggie ?

I couldn't find any mention anywhere about Baytril causing drowsiness, so your asking about that was a bit of a curiosity, which is why I offered that very thorough coverage. (That 'Tanya' site is a marvelous resource, perfectly understandable while soundly supported with solid references. If you check the "Symptoms" page, you'll find an 'Index of Symptoms & Treatments' - and, while the site's focus is kidney disease, much of all in there is feline-generic, and can be really helpful.)

Sorry if I seemed to go 'overboard' about pilling. Though, up above, earlier, you had said "Any advice on pilling her?";)

Anyway, just 'checking in'.

lilaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. She seems okay. Thanks for asking! I got some pill pockets. My other two loved them, so we’ll see how Cece does tonight. Thanks!